Sign in to follow this  
udbrky

Catch/injury AFL game

https://www.fanragsports.com/scary-outfield-collision-occurs-in-az-fall-league/

Really interesting here. RF/CF collide HARD. They're down for a long time. U1 goes out (not on this video) and F8 has control of the ball which is still in his glove, and U1 rules catch. 

Thought it was interesting seeing the ruling of catch when F8 did not voluntarily show the ball. 

15 hours ago, udbrky said:

F8 did not voluntarily show the ball. 

I didn't watch the video -- but that statement is NOT part of the rule.

I didn't watch the video yet but isn't voluntary release how we prove the player had secure and firm possession of the ball?

Voluntary release is one way to judge if a catch has been made. In this play , 2 outs, R2. The guy caught the ball, slammed hard into the other outfielder. Didn't move after the collision. R2 and batter runner circled the bases. Outfielder stayed motionless , ball in glove. Confirmed by U1. Voluntary release or voluntary showing of the ball is not a prerequisite for a catch. Just indicators that can help us determine if a legal catch has been made. A ball secure in the glove a motionless body would also indicate a legal catch has been completed. 

• Like 3

On 11/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, noumpere said:

I didn't watch the video -- but that statement is NOT part of the rule.

I didn't mean to imply it was, but don't think I've ever seen this call without the player showing the ball. I thought it was a great call and mechanic on going out and getting the call right.