Gurriel's action and punishment

Mister B
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2361 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I didn't see what happened, but reading about it, I just can't help feeling that the punishment, especially in today's climate, is a cop out. 

I think a one game suspension, during the Series, would have been more of a force in the changing of attitudes. 5 games at the beginning of next season is not a punishment. The might have well, thrown in some free massages and a trip to the Bahamas. 

And while I have a feeling that many of you might feel differently, I believe that disrespecting another human or race, is a hell of a lot worse than "disrespecting" an inanimate object. 

Just curious as how others feel. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they were trying to send a message without risking getting it caught up in the CBA. Ideally, Gurriel wouldn't have appealed - but he could, and that would have pushed it to next season anyway. And then, the standard for this in past was only a game or two, so 5 games is a significant increase. He'll still lose 5 games of salary, though the immediacy and impact of 1 series game would have been better.

4 hours ago, Mister B said:

I didn't see what happened, but reading about it, I just can't help feeling that the punishment, especially in today's climate, is a cop out. 

Probably so, if you're looking for social justice. These ignorant gestures of racism should be pointed out as abhorrent. Individually though, I doubt any punishment will change the heart of those satisfied in their ignorance. More here to pity than punish, I'm afraid...

... But then, stick and stones may brake my bones, but names (and gestures) will never hurt me.  Maybe time for the snowflakes in the world to find something worth reacting to. 

I think a one game suspension, during the Series, would have been more of a force in the changing of attitudes. 5 games at the beginning of next season is not a punishment. The might have well, thrown in some free massages and a trip to the Bahamas. 

Setting a level of punishment is above mine and all y'all's pay grades (though some might think that its not above the Commissioner's). Punishment would be better left to the big guy ... Karma, and the other baseball gods may smite him for distracting us from the WS.

And while I have a feeling that many of you might feel differently, I believe that disrespecting another human or race, is a hell of a lot worse than "disrespecting" an inanimate object. 

Disrespecting another human or race is despicable.
Disrespecting an inanimate object that represents the freest society in the world and memorializes the men/woman that provided that freedom is also despicable.    

No need to prioritize them.

This country isn't perfect and can/will do better...we always have. Authoritarian/lawless societies don't. 

I think it's hugely unfortunate things like this work their ways into sports. Sports is an escape from "the real world" and how ugly and nasty it can be. I just want to sit in my chair and enjoy the game without this type of crap. 

However, what I thought was refreshing about the whole incident is how Darvish took the highroad on the whole ordeal. 

6 hours ago, stkjock said:

I think the $300K plus loss of salary is a pretty good penalty 

Not related, but at one point in his career, Michael Jordan was making $100K/hour. (That's one of the reasons his golf wagers weren't a big deal to me, because it was comparable to you and I betting $20) With bonuses for post season play, I'm sure Gurriel isn't far off of that. 

I also liked the way Darvish handled it, and I liked that he pulled the Houston fans into it. When my son found out, he was happy to be a Dodgers fan. (my son is se asian) 

I also know that we did this as kids and although we didn't mean to cause harm, it may have. We were all kids looking to have fun. And now that I know better, I think we as adults need to change this attitude. I feel it's one of the reasons were are in the mess we are. 

20 hours ago, Mister B said:

Not related, but at one point in his career, Michael Jordan was making $100K/hour. (That's one of the reasons his golf wagers weren't a big deal to me, because it was comparable to you and I betting $20) With bonuses for post season play, I'm sure Gurriel isn't far off of that. 

I also liked the way Darvish handled it, and I liked that he pulled the Houston fans into it. When my son found out, he was happy to be a Dodgers fan. (my son is se asian) 

I also know that we did this as kids and although we didn't mean to cause harm, it may have. We were all kids looking to have fun. And now that I know better, I think we as adults need to change this attitude. I feel it's one of the reasons were are in the mess we are. 

IIRC from when I did the math, he's deal was 4 years at $47M, so yea, the 300K will not affect his lifestyle, but $300K is still a lot of cake to lose for a few seconds of stupidity.

I agree Darvish handled it very well, a true gentleman, he gained a lot of respect from a lot of people.