Ty97

6-Man Injury

Obviously, these MLB postseason games are officiated with six umpires.  What is the protocol if an umpire is injured or cannot finish the game for some reason. Is there some sort of 5 man mechanics? Would another umpire be asked to sit out so they could go with 4 man mechanics?  This question just sort of came to me last night during the ALCS game. Thanks for the help. :)

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Obviously, these MLB postseason games are officiated with six umpires.  What is the protocol if an umpire is injured or cannot finish the game for some reason. Is there some sort of 5 man mechanics? Would another umpire be asked to sit out so they could go with 4 man mechanics?  This question just sort of came to me last night during the ALCS game. Thanks for the help.
I think the fifth umpire will go to either outfield line according to the batter scouting report.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the first example it looks like LF umpire moved to the infield and RF umpire stayed put.
In the second example it looks like RF umpire moved to the infield and the LF umpired stayed put.

2008 AL LCS Umpires: HP - Derryl Cousins (left in the 4th inning), 1B - Tim McClelland, 2B - Sam Holbrook, 
3B - Brian O'Nora, LF - Brian Gorman, RF - Alfonso Marquez; Tim McClelland moved to HP in the 4th inning; 
Sam Holbrook moved to 1B in the 4th inning; Brian O'Nora moved to 2B in the 4th inning; 
Brian Gorman moved to 3B in the 4th inning
1992 NL LCS Umpires: HP - John McSherry (left in the 2nd inning), 1B - Randy Marsh, 2B - Steve Rippley, 
3B - Gary Darling, LF - Gerry Davis, RF - Ed Montague; Randy Marsh moved to HP in the 2nd inning; 
Ed Montague moved to 1B in the 2nd inning

• Like 1