Obstruction on trail runner

eagle_12
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2358 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Wanted to put this out there because I guess I'm not sure of the answer.

Set-up: R2,R1 or R1 only, Batter hits a ball to the gap everyone has a chance to get extra bases

Lead runner gets a bad read, trips up, or 3rd base coach sucks and holds the lead runner at 3rd.  Trailing runner is rounding 2nd, obstructed by F4/6, but continues to 3rd base and is retired by relay throw just short of the base.

Do we award R1/BR third and "force" lead runner home and score, or are we keeping lead runner at 3rd, and placing trail runner back at 2nd.

Applying the same ruling as ball thrown out of play that you place the lead runner and adjust or are we awarding the runner obstructed and moving people forward to adjust for the infraction. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maven said:

Award bases to nullify the OBS. If an obstructed runner could not have advanced due to a preceding runner stopping, then the obstructed runner was not hindered in advancing to that base.

Would this change in a FED ruling where the OBS requires a one base minimum award to nullify the act of OBS? Or would you  use the same yard stick and determine the OBS runner could not advance due to R3's camping on 3rd?

14 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

Would this change in a FED ruling where the OBS requires a one base minimum award to nullify the act of OBS? Or would you  use the same yard stick and determine the OBS runner could not advance due to R3's camping on 3rd?

It would change under FED -- and under NCAA and OBR when the minimum award was required.

Let me, if I may, change the OP a little, and ask the same question..

R1. ball hit in the gap.  R1 rounds third and heads home . As F9 throws a missile towards home, BR rounds 2nd and is obstructed by F6 on his way to 3rd.  Throw to the plate has R1 dead to rights, R1 puts on the brakes and retreats to 3B.  F2 fires to F5,  R1 gets back to 3B. Now with F5 holding the ball and BR on his way to 3B, sees what's going on and buts on the brakes and heads back to 2B, and a run down now ensues with BR. 

OBR we would call time when the obstructed BR gets in the rundown? 

Would the award be only 2B because R1 didn't advance home and was not hindered in any way by the OBS? 

In FED we would let this play play out. let's say, BR is tagged out, F5 remains on 3B. 

We would enforce the OBS, award R1 home and BR 3rd? (one base min. from point of OBS)

Interesting Rules difference here, if I have this right. 

As I'm typing, I'm thinking of another odd outcome with the FED delayed dead ball OBS rule. 

Let's say defense messes up the rundown, BR gets to 3B and R1 is also  on 3B. Defense properly tags BR. 

Play stands?? 

36 minutes ago, Richvee said:

R1. ball hit in the gap.  R1 rounds third and heads home . As F9 throws a missile towards home, BR rounds 2nd and is obstructed by F6 on his way to 3rd.  Throw to the plate has R1 dead to rights, R1 puts on the brakes and retreats to 3B.  F2 fires to F5,  R1 gets back to 3B. Now with F5 holding the ball and BR on his way to 3B, sees what's going on and buts on the brakes and heads back to 2B, and a run down now ensues with BR.

OBR: This is type 2 OBS, the penalty for which is to award bases to nullify the OBS. If the umpire judges that the BR would have gotten to 3B without the OBS, then he'll kill it when the defense begins to play on the BR between 2B and 3B, and award 3B, advancing R1 to score. More likely on such a play (at least in pro ball), the umpire will judge that no award is required to nullify the OBS between 2B and 3B, because the BR couldn't have reached 3B safely (not least because R1 is standing on it). In that case, the BR is advancing at his own risk, and the results of the rundown will stand. If the defense tags both R1 and BR on 3B, the BR will be out.

FED: When BR is obstructed between 2B and 3B, he must be awarded a minimum of 1 base beyond his last legally touched base. So he'll get 3B at the end of playing action, and R1 will advance and score.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1