Replay's finest moment

ricka56
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2003 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

"I'm not a fan of replay .... this is it's finest moment."... Ron Darling about Lester's pickoff over-turn on IR

What had to be the one of the hardest plays for any umpire. An incredibly close play (within inches in real time) with the tag and the touch 6 feet apart.

FAQ ... I hate when that happens. But my question is, what do you do ? 

https://www.mlb.com/video/lester-picks-off-zimmerman/c-1862600783

13 hours ago, ricka56 said:

FAQ ... I hate when that happens. But my question is, what do you do ? 

What do I do ? I'd sell the $#!+ out of my coin flip call...

... and at my age, I secretly hope that this pair of Depends has enough capacity

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, noumpere said:

On a pickoff -- the runner is safe unless I clearly see him out.

That's who I've always given the benefit of the doubt to also. But umpires love outs more than new plate shoes and many, IMO, think that the BoD is supposed to go to F1. 

I saw that play last night and was glad I wasn't the one making it. It is piratically impossible to see both the hand on the base and the tag at the ankles. on this type of play. 

I agree with @noumpere I'm going to call him safe until I'm sure I have an out.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:21 AM, Jimurray said:

Just to reinforce how a snap throw is not usually balked because of how fast everything happens:

Lester PO.jpg

Lester also gets help from the old umpire adage, ugly ain't illegal...
... this pickoff was the second ugliest move ever. The most ugliest move ever was on the same runner, a few sets before this one.

We remember ugly ain't illegal but we sometimes we forget the rest of that adage, but sometimes it's ugly and illegal.

Lester's timing on this move was awesome though. He went just as R1 was trying to bluff a steal, like we often see in a youthball game (mlb video unfortunately starts right after R1's fake). Lester made R1 pay for that silly move. 

• 11 months later...