RUNNER ATTEMPTING TO KNOCK BALL OUT OF GLOVE

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2376 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Was just watching some highlights of the Dodgers - Diamondbacks game, as a east coaster, no way I was staying up to watch.  LOL

So Justin Turner attempts to score after a dropped ball in left, play at the plate, he seems to attempt to use his arms to bat the ball out of the glove.  Based on what I recall and read, seems to me if he had been successful, PU calls him out?   Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20975083&t=01m25s

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Based on what I recall and read, seems to me if he had been successful, PU calls him out?

If the umpire rules that a runner deliberately knocks the ball from a fielder's glove, that's INT: the ball is dead, the runner is out, and other runners return to their last legally touched base.

If the runner were already retired (say on a force play) prior to the INT, whether a second out could be called will depend on the situation and the code.

BAD:

WORSE — This got Fick released:

During Game 6 of the 2003 NLDS between the Cubs and Braves:

Robert Fick (Braves) slapped the catching arm and glove of Eric Karros (Cubs 1st Baseman) as Karros reached for an infield throw.

INT was called, Fick was removed from the game, Braves front office fined him $25K, Bobby Cox also fined him an undisclosed amount, and just after the Braves were eliminated from the postseason, Fick was released.

**And I stand corrected.  Fick did play for four more years with various teams.

Edited by VolUmp
Bad Info

Once I had runner reach into F2's mitt as the tag was being applied and pull the ball out of his mitt...sent it flying. To most everyone else that didn't see it, it looked like the ball popped loose on the tag. OHC was asking WTF ? After I told him, he asked the runner, who proudly admitted his bambozzlement attempt.