Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLB Ejection P-1 - Mark Wegner (1; John Farrell)

HP Umpire Mark Wegner ejected Red Sox Manager John Farrell (strike three call; QOCY) in the bottom of the 2nd inning of the Astros-Red Sox ALDS game. With one out and the bases loaded, Red Sox batter Dustin Pedroia took a 2-2 curveball from Astros pitcher Charlie Morton for a called third strike....

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

watched this live, Wegner gave Pedrioa a lot of leeway I thought, high pressure situation, kudos to Wegs

Maybe leeway is the problem. What part of "cannot argue balls and strikes" is hard to understand? Dump everyone instantly, and it will stop.

[That's part tongue-in-cheek, part wishful thinking.]

The other part of the problem is that everyone wants computer umpires...until they don't want computer umpires.  Coming from a big Red Sox family, my phone/facebook page was lighting up about this play and "how awful the umpire(s) were".  When I pointed out that Wegner (1) had correctly called the strike three to Pedroia according to the "computer", and (2) had the best game of any plate umpire in the playoffs to that point (97.1%)...they suddenly didn't believe the computer anymore.  LOL.  I heard, "a pitcher struggling that much shouldn't get that call," and "there's no way you throw out a manager in a game this big, especially when you choke on the call."

Sigh.  Gotta love baseball fans.  "We need computer umpires!!!  Except the computer was wrong on that pitch to Pedroia."  

Its tough when one realizes that one's family is no better than any other group of insane baseball fans.  LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lawump said:

The other part of the problem is that everyone wants computer umpires...until they don't want computer umpires.  Coming from a big Red Sox family, my phone/facebook page was lighting up about this play and "how awful the umpire(s) were".  When I pointed out that Wegner (1) had correctly called the strike three to Pedroia according to the "computer", and (2) had the best game of any plate umpire in the playoffs to that point (97.1%)...they suddenly didn't believe the computer anymore.  LOL.  I heard, "a pitcher struggling that much shouldn't get that call," and "there's no way you throw out a manager in a game this big, especially when you choke on the call."

Sigh.  Gotta love baseball fans.  "We need computer umpires!!!  Except the computer was wrong on that pitch to Pedroia."  

Its tough when one realizes that one's family is no better than any other group of insane baseball fans.  LOL

When a fan believes something, no amount of facts or real evidence will sway them from their opinion.  The fact is that Wegner nailed the pitch, and Pedroia set events in motion that required Farrell to save him KNOWING that he was going to be ejected in the process.  Absolutely 100% of the blame is on Pedroia for the entire situation.  All in the second inning of an elimination game for the Red Sox.  Your family should be praising Wegner for keeping Pedroia in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Your family should be praising Wegner for keeping Pedroia in the game.

exactly my point

I saw an interview with Farrell, he stated, he didn't know why he was tossed, Wegs said for yelling at him.

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

exactly my point

I saw an interview with Farrell, he stated, he didn't know why he was tossed, Wegs said for yelling at him.

That's confusing.  Since Pedroia wasn't ejected, the only reason Farrell could have been coming out was to argue the pitch.  If you come out of the dugout to argue balls and strikes, you WILL be ejected.

If the ball/strike calls were computerized ... 

Siri: strike three
Pedroia : DA FAQ YOU TALKING ABOUT, YOU ELECTRONIC POS. THAT PITCH WAS LOW AND INSIDE. 
Siri: You sound a bit tense. May I suggest a cup of herbal tea. I found two coffee shops within 5 minutes of your location.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

That's confusing.  Since Pedroia wasn't ejected, the only reason Farrell could have been coming out was to argue the pitch.  If you come out of the dugout to argue balls and strikes, you WILL be ejected.

yea, of course.

https://www.mlb.com/video/farrell-on-getting-ejected/c-1862136183?tid=94769474

3 minutes ago, stkjock said:

What a rat.  He was just going out to get Pedroia away from Wegner, but he has to yell in Wegner's face to get Pedroia away from him?  HorseSH*#.

3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Your family should be praising Wegner for keeping Pedroia in the game.

Yeah, Red Sox nation needed someone (Pedroia) to weakly ground out to end the series,
so they can put all their over-reaction efforts into the Patriots/Bruins/Celtics.  

I watched it a couple of times. I think Farrell just went to save Pedroia. He had to say something to Wegner to shut Pedroia up. But he doesn't really make a fuss over it. It's actually Pedroia that yells one more time over Farrell's shoulder (after Wegner had already done his best to keep P in the game) and Weg looked over at Farrell and it appears says he's got to go now or you do. Farrell had his back turned but I suspect asked Weg to dump him. Weg looked like a veteran ump and outclassed Petroia. He had a great game.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:09 AM, lawump said:

Before the first robot ump game, everyone will be excited. 

The excitement will last exactly two innings, until a catcher picks a curve off the ground and it's called a strike because it caught the knee. 

• Like 1