Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WJL

Setting down on base while relief pitcher warms up.

Question

Guest WJL

While relief pitcher was warming up. Runner on third set down on base. The home plate umpire called him out. How is this possible.

9 answers to this question

I assume you meant that the runner "sat" (not "set") down on the base.  But, either way, the runner should not be out.

I assume that the offensive coach protested, or if protests are not allowed, that the coach sent a nice letter to the assigner / umpire coordinator so that the umpire can learn from this.

edit (Monday morning):  I also assume this was a game involving very young players and, thus, umpires.  No one who has played for much beyond t-ball or coach pitch sits on the base during a pitching change.  So, there's lots of learning to be done here -- by the player, the umpire, and, probably, the coaches.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
1 hour ago, noumpere said:

I assume you means that the runner "sat" (not "set") down on the base.  But, either way, the runner should not be out.

I assume that the offensive coach protested, or if protests are not allowed, that the coach sent a nice letter to the assigner / umpire coordinator so that the umpire can learn from this.

The umpire should have ejected the coach for allowing his player to sit vs taking a knee. There is no out for this. I am being facetious. You didn't have an umpire. You had a guy who didn't have a clue.

Where I come from, this call would be proper if offensive team was named the Yankees. CPS should be called and child abuse charges filed on the parents who allowed their kid to be dress in Yankee garb. Yankees suck !   LOL

• Like 2

LOL, fairly common occurrence in lower levels of youth ball, never had the experience where anyone took exception.

Personally I never cared for it and would coach my players not to do it. 

After this type of call,  am always interested in asking that "umpire"  what rule he used to justify an out call in that instance...............all the answers usually fall in the range of "making stuff up".........

shameful........... 

The bigger question... would why the umpire care what the runner on 3rd did during a time out?

I know (of) this umpire! He’s the rare OOOO (first “O” for “Old”). He’s the same guy who calls outs for slung bats, and acts-of-exuberance by /for runners scoring (especially homeruns). He has a fondness for the Fed rulebook (which still diefies the PU), but is a master of local rules and the T3Rs or D3Rs rulesets (“Them’s There the Rules”, or “Dem’s Der da Rules”, depending on local dialect).

In no way am I being ageist or a implying that a number defines your quality and effectiveness. It’s all relative, and “Old” in this context expressly means “Old thinking, stubborn, inflexible”. This guy won’t learn, no matter how, or how often, one presents it to him.

In this case, this guy is of the generation or school-of-thought that believes sitting on the bases is disrespectful. And, because today’s (youth) players lack respect, and this guy doesn’t know how to exhibit / foster respect, nor know how to relate to today’s youth, he arbitrarily penalizes participants. Slung bat? Disrespectful. Bat flip? Disrespectful. Jumping up and down at the plate with/around teammate who scored? Disrespectful. And on, and on, and on...

I’m the umpire. That stuff has no place on my watch, on my field, during my game.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mudisfun said:

The bigger question... would why the umpire care what the runner on 3rd did during a time out?

2 hours ago, Stan W. said:

After this type of call,  am always interested in asking that "umpire"  what rule he used to justify an out call in that instance...............all the answers usually fall in the range of "making stuff up".........

shameful........... 

I'm guessing that he will use the old... Well that's making a travesty of the game by sitting on the bases. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

I know (of) this umpire! He’s the rare OOOO (first “O” for “Old”). He’s the same guy who calls outs for slung bats, and acts-of-exuberance by /for runners scoring (especially homeruns). He has a fondness for the Fed rulebook (which still diefies the PU), but is a master of local rules and the T3Rs or D3Rs rulesets (“Them’s There the Rules”, or “Dem’s Der da Rules”, depending on local dialect).

In no way am I being ageist or a implying that a number defines your quality and effectiveness. It’s all relative, and “Old” in this context expressly means “Old thinking, stubborn, inflexible”. This guy won’t learn, no matter how, or how often, one presents it to him.

In this case, this guy is of the generation or school-of-thought that believes sitting on the bases is disrespectful. And, because today’s (youth) players lack respect, and this guy doesn’t know how to exhibit / foster respect, nor know how to relate to today’s youth, he arbitrarily penalizes participants. Slung bat? Disrespectful. Bat flip? Disrespectful. Jumping up and down at the plate with/around teammate who scored? Disrespectful. And on, and on, and on...

I’m the umpire. That stuff has no place on my watch, on my field, during my game.”

Once again I would ask what is your beef, other than our run of the mill complaints? How does FED “diefie” the PU any different than the other codes?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this