Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Umpire in Chief

Unorthodox rotation situation

Last night I had a first. A fairly well played HS fall ball game, pretty competitive and if not for one big half inning we would have probably been out of there in about 1:30.

R1, I'm in the B position. Pick off attempt runner gets in a pickle between 1st and 2nd. My partner hustles down the line to cover the 1st base side. We have an overthrow back to first and a lot of foul territory. R1 rounds 2nd and attempts for 3rd, F3 makes an excellent throw to third and now R1 is in a pickle between 2nd & 3rd. As I take the runner towards 3rd, my partner hollers he got the 2nd base side. 

Wouldn't you know it, the ball gets away again good throw, bad fielding and it gets away toward right field. R1 is now heading home. I take the runner towards the plate F9 makes a great throw to the plate and now we have a 3rd pickle situation. My partner yells he's got 3rd and I stay at the plate area. 

Next relay to the plate the runner dives for the plate, I'm there and get the out at the plate. 

I don't think you'll find this in any mechanics manual, but it worked for us. 

Sometimes you just have to umpire.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Last night I had a first. A fairly well played HS fall ball game, pretty competitive and if not for one big half inning we would have probably been out of there in about 1:30.
R1, I'm in the B position. Pick off attempt runner gets in a pickle between 1st and 2nd. My partner hustles down the line to cover the 1st base side. We have an overthrow back to first and a lot of foul territory. R1 rounds 2nd and attempts for 3rd, F3 makes an excellent throw to third and now R1 is in a pickle between 2nd & 3rd. As I take the runner towards 3rd, my partner hollers he got the 2nd base side. 
Wouldn't you know it, the ball gets away again good throw, bad fielding and it gets away toward right field. R1 is now heading home. I take the runner towards the plate F9 makes a great throw to the plate and now we have a 3rd pickle situation. My partner yells he's got 3rd and I stay at the plate area. 
Next relay to the plate the runner dives for the plate, I'm there and get the out at the plate. 
I don't think you'll find this in any mechanics manual, but it worked for us. 
Sometimes you just have to umpire.
Wow, what a blast! Communication would have to be the key. Where did you take the play at the plate?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

Wow, what a blast! Communication would have to be the key. Where did you take the play at the plate?

On his hands and knees gasping for breath....

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, conbo61 said:

On his hands and knees gasping for breath....

Almost, the play didn't last all that long 

3 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

My partner was great telling me, I've got first, I've got second, I've got third. 

I ended up taking the play on the opposite side of the wedge right at the cutout in fair territory about 3-5 feet inside the 3rd base line. It was actually a pretty good view.  

• Like 1

What possessed your partner to believe he should do anything but take the overthrow and then head back to the plate after R1 rounded third?  I understand that it all worked out in this situation, but he made a serious mistake coming in to take one end of the rundown between 2nd and 3rd.

6 hours ago, grayhawk said:

What possessed your partner to believe he should do anything but take the overthrow and then head back to the plate after R1 rounded third?  I understand that it all worked out in this situation, but he made a serious mistake coming in to take one end of the rundown between 2nd and 3rd.

Do you mean after he rounded 2nd?

13 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Do you mean after he rounded 2nd?

Yes, thanks.  I mistyped.

That sounds like a lot of fun.  

I'm not judging, it worked out, but that's not by the book is it? Should the PU head back home and let the BU take the Rundown between 2nd and 3rd (And if there is time rotate to 3rd)?

What is "by the book" for this?  Does "the book" cover this type of thing? You need to move as the play dictates. I'd say they got it right.