No sht fair

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2375 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

58 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

ALWC game. Twice, once U3, once URF,  signal fair on no sht fair balls. Interestingly, I did not see a catch signal from either. Post season excitement?

I've seen fair/foul points on "obvious" calls many many times.

What is a "catch signal"?    Sometimes on a obvious catch there's a half-a$$ed or no out call.

8 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

I've seen fair/foul points on "obvious" calls many many times.

What is a "catch signal"?    Sometimes on a obvious catch there's a half-a$$ed or no out call.

The catch signal is the same as the out signal. If you've seen the points many times maybe it's an MLB thing due to the optics from the stands at stadiums. What looks no sht on TV might not be obvious from some points in the stadium?

15 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I was told by a former Evan's instructor at a clinic, "If Grandma in the back row knows F7 caught the ball, there's no need for you to tell everyone he's out" 

The problem arises when Grandma in the back row knows F7 caught the ball, and Blue calls "no catch".   I lost count the number of times that 100 fans, 30 players, and four coaches saw one thing, and one umpire saw something entirely different.  In my experience there's no such thing as no sht.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

The problem arises when Grandma in the back row knows F7 caught the ball, and Blue calls "no catch".   I lost count the number of times that 100 fans, 30 players, and four coaches saw one thing, and one umpire saw something entirely different.  In my experience there's no such thing as no sht.

A routine fly ball or line drive caught above the waist doesn't require a call.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Nobody said anything about signaling a "no catch". Simply, there's no need to give an out mechanic on a can of corn that's caught. 

Pro Umpire:  "That's a catch!" while also signaling on an obvious can-of-corn catch to end the inning.

Defensive Player (as he's running by the umpire on his way to the dugout after the half inning):  "Hey, you finally got one right!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs -Dodgers game two NLCS, fourth inning I think. Fly near the RF line, caught by OF running in. Nosht fair but expected nice crisp fair point from URF. What did not happen was a catch signal or or turn of the head as the OF ran past and exhibited secure possession without a voluntary release. But what if the ball came out without URF looking at the OF. No problem U1 was right there. Still seems strange. 

On 10/4/2017 at 11:23 AM, Richvee said:

I was told by a former Evan's instructor at a clinic, "If Grandma in the back row knows F7 caught the ball, there's no need for you to tell everyone he's out" 

If grandma in the back row can see BR swing and miss the pitch down the middle for strike 3 and walk to the dugout, why do we use the out mechanic ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just don't understand the difference.

When I'm BU, I've always given a no $#!+ non-verbal out mechanic on the can of corn fly ball out...that only an umpire evaluator would even notice. 

9 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

If grandma in the back row can see BR swing and miss for strike 3 and walk to the dugout, why do we use the out mechanic ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just don't understand the difference. When I'm BU, I've always given a no $#!+ non-verbal out mechanic on a can of corn fly ball out...that only an umpire evaluator would even notice. 

Now I've gotten into the habit of not signaling the can of corn catches.

It must have ticked off a partner of mine a few weeks ago.....Multiple fly out cans of corn in the middle while I was in B. No verbal from me on any of them....Around the 6th inning,"Im in B, 1 out. Can of corn to F8. Next thing I know I hear at the top of his lungs, my PU, "THAT"S A CATCH!!"

I had to laugh. This from a guy who never moved to cover 3B on at least 3 occasions of R1 and a hit to the OF, and hung me out to dry never moving from HP on a fair fly down the RF line with the bases empty.

10 hours ago, ricka56 said:

If grandma in the back row can see BR swing and miss the pitch down the middle for strike 3 and walk to the dugout, why do we use the out mechanic ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just don't understand the difference.

Yes, it's inconsistent.  Same with the routine grounder resulting in an out at first by 3 steps (signal, no verbal) compared with the con-o'-corn (verbal -- but that's really just for your partner -- no signal)

Until / unless you are in a position to change the mechanics, live with it.

18 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Until / unless you are in a position to change the mechanics, live with it.

Haha ... chuckle...I haven't been told off like that since ...
... the wife left for work. 

But that is what I get for commenting about such a hot/compelling issue as no $#!+ safe/out mechanics. I should know better.

9 hours ago, maven said:

Your wife complains about your mechanics?

Just the "no $#!+" ones...the non-verbal peck on the cheek, the lack of the obligatory verbal "I love you". But for all the substantial mechanics, she describes them as big league.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2017 at 7:57 PM, Richvee said:

Now I've gotten into the habit of not signaling the can of corn catches.

It must have ticked off a partner of mine a few weeks ago.....Multiple fly out cans of corn in the middle while I was in B. No verbal from me on any of them....Around the 6th inning,"Im in B, 1 out. Can of corn to F8. Next thing I know I hear at the top of his lungs, my PU, "THAT"S A CATCH!!"

I had to laugh. This from a guy who never moved to cover 3B on at least 3 occasions of R1 and a hit to the OF, and hung me out to dry never moving from HP on a fair fly down the RF line with the bases empty.

I asked a lot of partners this year why they would signal on every fly ball out. The response I got? "I guess it's just what I was taught."

.............because why ever update your mechanics, right? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

I asked a lot of partners this year why they would signal on every fly ball out. The response I got? "I guess it's just what I was taught."

.............because why ever update your mechanics, right? 

"I guess it's just what I was taught" can also mean, "why should I believe you over [whoever taught them]."

With or without expletive.

5 hours ago, maven said:

"I guess it's just what I was taught" can also mean, "why should I believe you (who has attended at least one clinic a year for the past 5 years) over [whoever taught them (20 years ago...the last time they were taught anything]."

With or without expletive.

;)

• Like 1