College site apparel

HCueds
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2368 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I’m attending a local college clinic, and I have no idea what to wear. It’s gonna be pretty warm so I don’t wanna kill myself with a full on suit. The host sent this in his email:

School Site Attire:
Come to the fields dressed like you believe you should come dressed for a College game (hint: it's not pre dressed or shorts. Think of it as an interview with the coaches before you even call a play.

would business casual work? What do you college guys wear to the schools? :/

1 hour ago, HCueds said:

So I’m attending a local college clinic, and I have no idea what to wear. It’s gonna be pretty warm so I don’t wanna kill myself with a full on suit. The host sent this in his email:

School Site Attire:
Come to the fields dressed like you believe you should come dressed for a College game (hint: it's not pre dressed or shorts. Think of it as an interview with the coaches before you even call a play.

would business casual work? What do you college guys wear to the schools? :/

Nice slacks and a polo shirt will be fine.  I've seen guys wearing 3 piece suits, which to me is overkill, but to each his own.

As for the fields, shined shoes, pressed newer uniforms.   They don't like people wearing those grey, green, purple colored slacks and the brown faded shirts.  Creased cap. 6 stitch for plate and 8 stitch for bases.  Black hats.

Shoes clean each night.

When they have socials go ahead and mingle.  

Do you have Mike Blinci's number?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Nice slacks and a polo shirt will be fine.  I've seen guys wearing 3 piece suits, which to me is overkill, but to each his own.

As for the fields, shined shoes, pressed newer uniforms.   They don't like people wearing those grey, green, purple colored slacks and the brown faded shirts.  Creased cap. 6 stitch for plate and 8 stitch for bases.  Black hats.

Shoes clean each night.

When they have socials go ahead and mingle.  

Do you have Mike Blinci's number?

No, but I’m not going to BBUC. I was too late ):

That’s the biggest thing I wanted to know, I don’t want to overdo it. I’m gonna look clean cut and professional, but I didn’t want to be that kid wearing a 3 piece in mid 80 weather. 

Stu beat me to it.

Nice, pressed slacks and either a polo or dress shirt would work fine.

Basically casual business attire. But for sure not jeans.

Also, like Stu said... go out and mingle. The socializing after the games can be just as important as what you do on the field to these guys.

• Like 1

It depends on where you live...or better yet, where the clinic is located. 

Personally I wear golf slacks and a polo shirt or 1/4 zip pullover to a D1 game. However some "groups" expect their members to wear a sport coat or suit and tie. It's overkill and impresses no one, but when in Germany...do has the Fuhrer says.

I would do a little research or pack a sport coat in your car and if you see others there wearing them, throw it on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, HCueds said:

No, but I’m not going to BBUC. I was too late ):

That’s the biggest thing I wanted to know, I don’t want to overdo it. I’m gonna look clean cut and professional, but I didn’t want to be that kid wearing a 3 piece in mid 80 weather. 

Don't know it you're aware, but Brad Hungerford puts on an excellent 2 man clinic every January in Palm Springs.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, umpstu said:

Don't know it you're aware, but Brad Hungerford puts on an excellent 2 man clinic every January in Palm Springs.  

Yeah, I wanted to go last year but I got caught up in something else. I’ll probably go to this upcoming one once my high school unit sends out the info so I know not to schedule anything 

If only I knew what was expected....... Slacks, dress shoes and a polo/button down shirt w/ no tie.  Sports coat and note pad ready if you want to impress and are going for a job (hint coordinators will be there).  Also I'd suggest shooting BBUC an email about the 3man camp.... Or maybe talk to this Mike Blinci feller that Stu was talking about... He may or may not be at this "local clinic" in Santa Barbra. Just my $0.02

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hckyosgood30 said:

If only I knew what was expected....... Slacks, dress shoes and a polo/button down shirt w/ no tie.  Sports coat and note pad ready if you want to impress and are going for a job (hint coordinators will be there).  Also I'd suggest shooting BBUC an email about the 3man camp.... Or maybe talk to this Mike Blinci feller that Stu was talking about... He may or may not be at this "local clinic" in Santa Barbra. Just my $0.02

I honestly forgot you were on here. Now is the sports coat just for the meeting Friday morning or to each location? And I’m shooting for both BBUC clinics next year