Register or Sign In to remove these ads
BRUMP

Break

Going off DL1430 topic about taking a break I thought I would post my own opinion here and give a little background on what Ive been up to since I know you all miss me terribly (ya right). This past spring I cut way back on umpiring for a number of reasons. First off I was injured for a good portion of the winter (which stopped my basketball officiating very abruptly) and spring. I got my foot run over by an uber and ripped a couple of ligaments that left me in a walking boot for the majority of the HS season. Also, I had a couple family health issues, I graduated college, got a full time job that comes with the commute from hell included. Something had to give for awhile and for me it was umpiring.  While I have missed umpiring the number of games I used to, the world didnt stop spinning. Im fortunate to have a good job out of school, be in a good relationship and start my adult life. I was able to umpire occasionally but my numbers dropped form 10-12 a week to a double header once every 2 weeks. Something had to give and for me it was officiating and being on UE. Ive always said that when officiating stops becoming fun Im out. I did not reach that point, but instead I just discovered there weren't enough hours in the day. So for now, I will continue to do my occasional games which Ive found when they are fewer and far between are much more fun and allow me to keep doing what I love on a smaller scale. I still have aspirations for my umpiring career and lofty ones in fact. But for the time being Im going to continue as is. What I miss most is the camaraderie amongst officials. And while I don't see myself experiencing that in terms of a 5 game marathon with a partner I enjoy working with, I do want to make a commitment to being back to my usual active self on this site because while I have read from time to time I do miss the rules discussions, informative posts, and good natured ball busting that led me to enjoy this site tremendously. @Umpire in Chief once the next month of business trips calms down I will get back on track with doing the interview articles I had promised, and I look forward to being back in the swing of things with all of you guys.

• Like 2

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

How dare you get a life.

Congrats on College, job, relationship... adulthood.

• Like 1