Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tom

Passing 1st base after a walk

Question

11 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

Only if the runner makes a move towards 2B. Simply over running, like he wold on a batted ball, is allowed, now in all codes. FED (high school rules) used to disallow over running 1B on a walk, but that rule has been changed now to conform  with all other rule sets.

That's the OBR and NCAA rule.  The CURRENT FED rule does not allow the "overrun protection" on a walk.  (Although, most umpires will allow it if it's D3/K or B4 situation).  Starting next year, the FED rule will be (at least substantially) the same as the OBR and NCAA rule.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Only if the runner makes a move towards 2B. Simply over running, like he wold on a batted ball, is allowed, now in all codes. FED (high school rules) used to disallow over running 1B on a walk, but that rule has been changed now to conform  with all other rule sets.

7 hours ago, Guest Tom said:

After a base on balls can the batter/runner be tagged out after he touches 1st base

One other case that I encountered this summer.

Close play at first.  BU calls safe, but runner was unaware and thinking he was out started heading back to his dugout.  His bench started yelling that he was safe and to get back to the bag.  DT threw the ball back to F3 who tagged the runner before he got back to the bag.  BU banged him out for being off the bag.

After doing some research, I found the attached nugget in the Wendelstedt manual.

doc00014520170731064213.pdf

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

FED (high school rules) used to disallow over running 1B on a walk, but that rule has been changed now to conform  with all other rule sets.

Rich, where are you getting that? 8-4-2-h has not changed in the 2017 book: "If a batter-runner safely touches first base and then overslides or overruns it, except on a base on balls, he may immediately return to first base without liability of being tagged out, provided he did not attempt to run or feint to second."

1 hour ago, maven said:

Rich, where are you getting that? 8-4-2-h has not changed in the 2017 book: "If a batter-runner safely touches first base and then overslides or overruns it, except on a base on balls, he may immediately return to first base without liability of being tagged out, provided he did not attempt to run or feint to second."

If I'm not mistaken, didn't @lawump tell us it was changing for 2018? I guess I'm jumping the gun a little. 

From the NFHS website (only the relevant portions of the article):

High School Baseball Rules Changes Focus on Player Safety

By Marisa Miller on June 30, 2017

A modification was also made to Rule 8-2-7, which strikes the language preventing a player who is awarded first base on a base on balls the ability to over-run the base and return safely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Richvee said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't @lawump tell us it was changing for 2018? I guess I'm jumping the gun a little. 

I guess so. From nfhs.org:

"A modification was also made to Rule 8-2-7, which strikes the language preventing a player who is awarded first base on a base on balls the ability to over-run the base and return safely."

Note: there is (as yet?) no rule 8-2-7.

Putting the rule change in the past tense, "...that rule has been changed...", misled me.

4 hours ago, Richvee said:

Yup, I did.

• Thanks 1

From the 2016 BRD (section 114, p. 92):

“A batter awarded first on a base on balls may not overrun the base. If he does, he is in peril of an out regardless of whether he feints or attempts an advance. (8-2-7, 5.1.4b; Website 2001 #2)”

So, the BRD cites rule 8-2-7 and my copies of the 2015 and 2016 NFHS rule book each has a rule 8-2-7:

“A batter-runner who reaches first base safely and then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to second. A player who is awarded first base on a base on balls does not have this right.”

I do not have a copy of the 2017 Fed rule book. Are you saying, Mr. maven, that there is no rule 8-2-7 in the most recent rule book?

10 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

From the 2016 BRD (section 114, p. 92):

“A batter awarded first on a base on balls may not overrun the base. If he does, he is in peril of an out regardless of whether he feints or attempts an advance. (8-2-7, 5.1.4b; Website 2001 #2)”

So, the BRD cites rule 8-2-7 and my copies of the 2015 and 2016 NFHS rule book each has a rule 8-2-7:

“A batter-runner who reaches first base safely and then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to second. A player who is awarded first base on a base on balls does not have this right.”

I do not have a copy of the 2017 Fed rule book. Are you saying, Mr. maven, that there is no rule 8-2-7 in the most recent rule book?

There is both an 8-2-7 and a 8-4-2-h in the book, both addressing overrunning on a walk. Hopefully, the language will be stricken from both, which I'm sure @lawump will try to insure.

My bad: I was looking at 8-4-2h and forgot it was somewhere else.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this