Is this legal?

Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2376 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runner at first, pitcher in the stretch. Runner attempts to steal 2nd on pitchers leg lift. Noticing the runner stealing, pitcher, without hesitation, does inside move(spaghetti, steps over, etc) and throws to 2nd to get the stealing runner. My understanding is that it is not throwing to an unoccupied bag if there is a play being made on a runner attempting to get there. 

6 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Guest Mike said:

Runner at first, pitcher in the stretch. Runner attempts to steal 2nd on pitchers leg lift. Noticing the runner stealing, pitcher, without hesitation, does inside move(spaghetti, steps over, etc) and throws to 2nd to get the stealing runner. My understanding is that it is not throwing to an unoccupied bag if there is a play being made on a runner attempting to get there. 

Well, it *is* throwing to an unoccupied base -- it's just that this is allowed if there is a play being made.  ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

Correct

28 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

My understanding is that it is not throwing to an unoccupied bag if there is a play being made on a runner attempting to get there. 

As Ed McMahon was apt to say, "You are correct, Sir."  

1 hour ago, Guest Mike said:

As said above, you are correct.  I will add that it's nearly impossible for a pitcher to pull this off without motioning home if his intention was to deliver a pitch.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, grayhawk said:

As said above, you are correct.  I will add that it's nearly impossible for a pitcher to pull this off without motioning home if his intention was to deliver a pitch.

So you're saying there is a chance?;)

who has the dumb n dumber clip?