Kneeling for National Anthem

UMP45
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2216 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

8 hours ago, umpstu said:

That was never the goal. 

I have a lot of respect for you on this forum, so I've made a concerted effort, but I can't find a point in your responses.

I'm going to disengage here.  You can have the last word, if it's important to you.

People complain when it's convenient for them to complain - as with many things, like religion, people pick the rules it is convenient for them to argue, and ignore the other - below are the acts that actually ARE being performed by people and organizations that I'm not hearing any objections about.  Christ, virtually every Thursday night, Monday night and playoff NFL game, letter (c) is violated during the anthem by several dozen people.

The debate is moronic on all levels, and if so many people weren't so mindless in their "patriotism", starting with one President Trump (though the protests started long before he piped in), it would never have been an issue in the first place.  Wanna be patriotic - the most patriotic thing one can do is allow someone the right to silently sit during an anthem if they choose to do so, and mind your own damned business.

Christ - you don't hear anyone deriding, attacking, or looking to arrest/unemploy the drunken fools who scream and holler during the anthem at any sporting event.

The mindless show of solidarity is one thing.  The equally mindless attack of those who don't join the solidarity brings us back to Nazi Germany.

People should remember that the patriots were the ones who rebelled against the standing government.

Respect for the Flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

• Like 1