mmcc2789

Rough slide into 2nd - How do i watch that slide and make the call at 1st on DP

12 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Districts at Top Level Programs should get consistent in all states and demand 3-man for regular season District games. There is just too much riding on it, and we don't have replay.  Most officials here love working 3-man, and would give up even more of their paycheck to work 3-man (as compared to the 2-man fee) in a District game.

12 hours ago, VolUmp said:

If the school can’t afford that, maybe each team should have a parent from the home team provide the $30 on a rotating basis starting with parents of Seniors.

Is the issue one of economics, or population?  Are there enough umpires sitting around at home doing nothing to fill any/all three-man lineup gaps?

Because, frankly, most people I've dealt with would gladly pay for four-man crews all year long....in my experience cost hasn't been the issue in this decision.   Coaching a club team where the outlay is in the neighborhood of $8000/year, including travel costs, per player, forking out an extra $250/player/year to ensure there is an extra umpire for all 80ish games is something most of the parents would gladly pay.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Is the issue one of economics, or population?  Are there enough umpires sitting around at home doing nothing to fill any/all three-man lineup gaps?

Because, frankly, most people I've dealt with would gladly pay for four-man crews all year long....in my experience cost hasn't been the issue in this decision.   Coaching a club team where the outlay is in the neighborhood of $8000/year, including travel costs, per player, forking out an extra $250/player/year to ensure there is an extra umpire for all 80ish games is something most of the parents would gladly pay.

I suppose it can be both, but around here, Varsity Baseball Teams (Public and Private) are on very tight budgets. There is one school reknowned for not giving umpires free water. (Yeah … I said it … you know who you are.)

The next Association over from mine provides 3-Man crews for every District game in the top 3 (of 5) Divisions in Tennessee.  I think my Association could handle that if the schools would pony up the money.

With make-ups and screwy scheduling due to weather and spring breaks, etc., it’s accepted that once in a while they will settle for a good 2-Man crew on a District Game.

In my Association, with all 5 Divisions, no one does 3-Man until the Post-Season, and then it’s only the top Division District Tournament that votes for 3-Man each year. This was my 14th year … the coaches vote every year, and none of the other 4 Divisions have ever gone with 3-Man. It IS made available to them, so I’d say the answer is $$$.

• Like 1