Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Gfoley4

What a call!

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
28 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I'd like to think that most of us would be able to stay with the tag /play all the way through and get this.

Staying with it is half the battle. The other half is positioning: we need to be close enough to the bag to have an angle on the runner coming off the base by an inch. I've observed guys try to make this call from the working area—15 feet from the base, toward the mound—and they'd have no look at this.

16 hours ago, zoops said:

Great call; looked like Counsell was arguing that the fielder pushed him off the bag...really Craig?

He may have, but not intentionally, and I believe that is the line.

Very nice call the tell tale moment is when Sogard makes the second effort to get to the bag. If he didn't come off why the second effort? 

• Like 1

The shortstop was already pointing into the dugout to ask for a replay before DeMuth even made his call.  Dolt.

16 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

The shortstop was already pointing into the dugout to ask for a replay before DeMuth even made his call.  Dolt.

You're entitled to that opinion, of course.  I'd think people would be glad that he was already signalling to get his team looking at the play, just to reduce the amount of time that people are standing around on the field waiting for someone to decide if it's worth standing around with headphones on waiting for someone in New York to decide.

I mean, if we're going to pretend that the 45 seconds saved on an intentional walk once a week is worthwhile, then I think we also have to pretend that it's worth saving 5 seconds by signaling the dugout that there might be something worth looking at before the umpire has rendered a decision.

16 minutes ago, CJK said:

You're entitled to that opinion, of course.  I'd think people would be glad that he was already signalling to get his team looking at the play, just to reduce the amount of time that people are standing around on the field waiting for someone to decide if it's worth standing around with headphones on waiting for someone in New York to decide.

I mean, if we're going to pretend that the 45 seconds saved on an intentional walk once a week is worthwhile, then I think we also have to pretend that it's worth saving 5 seconds by signaling the dugout that there might be something worth looking at before the umpire has rendered a decision.

Seriously?  It's standard practice to see what the actual call is before asking for a replay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Seriously?  It's standard practice to see what the actual call is before asking for a replay.  

It's the new "sell the call" move.   

As well, since you only have ten seconds to announce that you are contemplating a challenge, and then 30 seconds to decide, the shortstop is giving his team a few extra seconds to make the decision.

It's the new "sell the call" move.   
As well, since you only have ten seconds to announce that you are contemplating a challenge, and then 30 seconds to decide, the shortstop is giving his team a few extra seconds to make the decision.

This is literally the first time I've seen any player start pointing before the call is made. If you have other examples, I'd love to see them.

39 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

This is literally the first time I've seen any player start pointing before the call is made. If you have other examples, I'd love to see them.

Everything is unprecedented until it happens.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I'm not going to dig for video, but it happens almost every game.

I'm not going to dig for video, but it happens almost every game.

Not BEFORE a call is made.

Just now, grayhawk said:

Not BEFORE a call is made.

I've seen it as it's being made a lot.

Shoot, I've seen Javy Baez asking 1B ump if he went around a few times too.

6 hours ago, udbrky said:

yep, Baez does it all the time. 

10 hours ago, udbrky said:

I know a lot of times it's quick, they don't always show the umpire in the close up though.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:11 AM, udbrky said:

On check swings? Adrian Beltre and Miguel Cabrera have been doing it for their whole careers.