Sign in to follow this  
conbo61

Balk call extends MiLB playoff game

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/baseball-team-loses-after-phantom-balk-call-interrupts-team’s-championship-celebration/ar-AAse8I9?li=BBnb7Kz

Someone is still playing (or writing) as per Fed Rules

"The batter Casey Turgeon told a reporter after the game that he heard the home plate umpire say balk, but there was no hand signal to call the play dead."

The only thing I could see is that he was gigged for "no stop", but that was awfully close.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
1 hour ago, conbo61 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/baseball-team-loses-after-phantom-balk-call-interrupts-team’s-championship-celebration/ar-AAse8I9?li=BBnb7Kz

Someone is still playing (or writing) as per Fed Rules

"The batter Casey Turgeon told a reporter after the game that he heard the home plate umpire say balk, but there was no hand signal to call the play dead."

The only thing I could see is that he was gigged for "no stop", but that was awfully close.

Mr. Turgeon should bone-up on the rules.  The ball isn't dead on a balk under OBR, which I assume is the rules code this league plays under.

10 minutes ago, UmpJeff said:

Mr. Turgeon should bone-up on the rules.  The ball isn't dead on a balk under OBR, which I assume is the rules code this league plays under.

Mr. Turgeon seemed to know the rules -- according to the "article" (which was really more of an op-ed piece not supported by facts), he said he "took a free swing" -- which is exactly what batters are supposed to do when a balk is followed by a pitch.

It's the author who should be instructed to do some basic reading and research before s/he writes such claptrap.

• Like 1

The thread title should read Balk call extends Independent Professional Baseball playoff game. Just saying.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Looks like F2 was certainly aware that a balk had been called.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Looks like F2 was certainly aware that a balk had been called.

Do you think it was for a "no stop?"

1 hour ago, Tborze said:

Double stop balk?

Looks like he came set at his chin. 

No. I'm pretty sure they let this F1 double stop but don't find it actually to be a stop at the top. Something is still moving. But many of these double stop pitchers then bounce the bottom stop. That's what I have in the OP. And that's what I see in a lot of pitchers that do that. You rationalize the "stop" at the top and they give you a good one at the bottom all game long but once or twice they bounce one.

5 hours ago, conbo61 said:

Do you think it was for a "no stop?"

I can't see anything else that might be called. I can see how some might interpret the bottom of his hand motion to be a bounce rather than a stop though. I don't know that I would interpret it as such, but others might.