Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLB Ejections 168-169 - Livensparger, Layne (CIN-NYM)

Gil    293

HP Umpire Shane Livensparger ejected Reds 2B Scooter Gennett (strike two and three calls; QOCY) in the top of the 7th and 1B Umpire Jerry Layne ejected Mets Manager Terry Collins (Replay Review decision overturning HP Umpire Livensparger's out call at home plate to "safe"; QOCY) in the top of the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
stkjock    272

I was watching this game. I was surprised by the Gennett EJ as he didn't seem to direct anything at PU. 

Anyone have any  thoughts on PU positioning on play at the plate that was overturned? 

LittleBlue    107
5 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I was watching this game. I was surprised by the Gennett EJ as he didn't seem to direct anything at PU. 

Anyone have Abe thoughts on PU positioning on play at the plate that was overturned? 

I think the equipment fine was good for the spike of the helmet and the ej was unnecessary for flipping the elbow guard as I didn't see that directed at the umpire.

As far as the play at the plate, I think he wants to be more to the left. I think he over rotated and got stuck when F2 dropped down and slid to his left to apply the tag.

maven    3,881
56 minutes ago, stkjock said:

PU told him to pick up the helmet and/or KTSO. Then he threw the guard. EJ is pretty automatic there.

59 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Anyone have Abe thoughts on PU positioning on play at the plate that was overturned? 

I don't know whether these count as Abe thoughts, but he's in the proper position, head still. He just missed an extremely tight call. Remember that the human eye can distinguish events only to about .04 seconds, and I'd bet that the gap between touch and tag was right around there.

It looks easy or obvious only in super slo mo, where .04 seconds gets stretched to a few seconds. Even Mets fans can get it right at that point.

stkjock    272
23 minutes ago, maven said:

I don't know whether these count as Abe thoughts, but he's in the proper position, head still. He just missed an extremely tight call. Remember that the human eye can distinguish events only to about .04 seconds, and I'd bet that the gap between touch and tag was right around there.

It looks easy or obvious only in super slo mo, where .04 seconds gets stretched to a few seconds. Even Mets fans can get it right at that point.

LOL! Damn auto correct. 

From my reading here, I'd have thought that he would want to rotate to his left to see the tag applied better   

24 minutes ago, maven said:

PU told him to pick up the helmet and/or KTSO. Then he threw the guard. EJ is pretty automatic there.

Gotcha.  Live I just didn't get the impression of it being directed at PU so that's why I was a bit surprised.