Hit or Fielders Choice?

Guest San Francisco Sam
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2409 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest San Francisco Sam

Runner on third. 1 Out

Batter hits a routine grounder to shortstop. Runner at third flusters the shortstop, but stays at third. Batter reaches first safely. Shortstop never throws ball. 

Should this be scored as a hit? 

9 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, Guest San Francisco Sam said:

Runner on third. 1 Out

Batter hits a routine grounder to shortstop. Runner at third flusters the shortstop, but stays at third. Batter reaches first safely. Shortstop never throws ball. 

What did the SS do? If he just looked at R3 and then didn't throw it's a hit.  If he took any steps toward 3B/R3 then decided to not throw it's a FC.

• Like 1

What did the scorekeeper in the actual game call it?....................if its a rec game, the offensive team probably called it a hit and the defensive team probably called it a FC..........The reason most of us ignore the scorekeeping rules is that they are not our call and subject to the quality and bias of the scorekeeper.

I've read newspaper accounts of games in which I was the HP umpire, that did not even remotely resemble the game I umpired. FC's and errors called hits, wins and saves given to non-situation entitled participants.........and on and on.....    

On 9/9/2017 at 5:13 PM, UMP45 said:

Who cares? Not one of the rules we have to know.

Who cares?  Obviously the guy asking the question cares.  Stop asking dumb questions.

The score keeping rules are in the OBR and Fed rule book, and there is no "ask the scorekeeper" website yet, so, he is coming here to "ask a baseball rules question".  So, if someone here can answer him, great.  The likelihood is he has found as good a message board as any to get his answer.

It wouldn't hurt umpires to know the score keeping any more than it would hurt score keepers/coaches to know the rules better.  I teach my players to know more than just the stuff between the lines.  The more rounded everyone can be, the better for everyone.

So, if you don't know the answer, and you're just not interested in that part of the game, just keep your mouth shut and decline to answer.  No need to be rude and ignorant.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:40 PM, Guest San Francisco Sam said:

Runner on third. 1 Out

By rule, this should be a hit.

9.05(b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a:

(4) fielder fails in an attempt to put out a preceding runner and, in the scorer’s judgment, the batter-runner could have been put out at first base;

Rule 9.05(b) Comment: Rule 9.05(b)  shall not apply if the fielder merely looks toward or feints toward another base before attempting to make the putout at first base.

"Mental" mistakes are not to be recorded as errors - which would include forgetting which base to throw to, or not throwing at all, or being too slow to a ball/base, etc.

9 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Who cares?  Obviously the guy asking the question cares.  Stop asking dumb questions.

The score keeping rules are in the OBR and Fed rule book, and there is no "ask the scorekeeper" website yet, so, he is coming here to "ask a baseball rules question".  So, if someone here can answer him, great.  The likelihood is he has found as good a message board as any to get his answer.

It wouldn't hurt umpires to know the score keeping any more than it would hurt score keepers/coaches to know the rules better.  I teach my players to know more than just the stuff between the lines.  The more rounded everyone can be, the better for everyone.

So, if you don't know the answer, and you're just not interested in that part of the game, just keep your mouth shut and decline to answer.  No need to be rude and ignorant.

(4) fielder fails in an attempt to put out a preceding runner and, in the scorer’s judgment, the batter-runner could have been put out at first base;

Rule 9.05(b) Comment: Rule 9.05(b)  shall not apply if the fielder merely looks toward or feints toward another base before attempting to make the putout at first base.

"Mental" mistakes are not to be recorded as errors - which would include forgetting which base to throw to, or not throwing at all, or being too slow to a ball/base, etc.

If the fielder does make a legit move toward 3B first then it is a FC. That's why the part you highlighted is there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Who the hell are you to tell me how to respond? I could give 2 rat farts what you think. Just stick to coaching your coach pitch team and everything will be okay!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2409 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.