MLB Ejection 162 - Marvin Hudson (2; Josh Donaldson)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2417 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Marvin Hudson ejected Blue Jays 3B Josh Donaldson (strike one call; QOCY) in the top of the 18th inning of the Blue Jays-Red Sox game. With none out and none on, Donaldson took a 0-0 sinker from Red Sox pitcher Carson Smith for a called first strike. Replays indicate the pitch was located...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

What the hell is Donaldson bitching about here ......... ?? Not sure I understand his issue, but .... Marvin gave him some rope, and he hung himself!

This is one of those where you have to see the full game in context.  Though that pitch was indeed a strike Hudson called several strikes that were at least a full ball outside (for both teams) throughout the game - I'm guessing Donaldson was reacting more to a series of pitches rather than just that one.

Also - I think Hudson baited Donaldson a bit after he had said his piece and was back to focusing on the next pitch.

But after six hours and 500+ pitches I can't really blame him for not wanting to take any lip.

59 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

This is one of those where you have to see the full game in context.  Though that pitch was indeed a strike Hudson called several strikes that were at least a full ball outside (for both teams) throughout the game - I'm guessing Donaldson was reacting more to a series of pitches rather than just that one.

Also - I think Hudson baited Donaldson a bit after he had said his piece and was back to focusing on the next pitch.

But after six hours and 500+ pitches I can't really blame him for not wanting to take any lip.

From what I can see on Brooks he was good sideways and consistently not calling the low strike. A few misees up. I'm not a nuanced Brooks analyst though. Are you judging from the TV box?

19 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

From what I can see on Brooks he was good sideways and consistently not calling the low strike. A few misees up. I'm not a nuanced Brooks analyst though. Are you judging from the TV box?

Yes, and replay (as good as you can see on the angle) - I saw several that appeared to cross the white chalk.

48 minutes ago, MLB umpire observer said:

umpireauditor.com which is a pretty good website gave him an 84% correct call % last night

38 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Yes, and replay (as good as you can see on the angle) - I saw several that appeared to cross the white chalk.

From what I can see on Brooks his zone was consistent in not calling the low strike which would account for 84%. Were the complaints from the pitchers, batters and/or announcers?

37 minutes ago, LRZ said:

The latter don't count.

Usually not, but they do typically have a better view than the home viewer on whether a pitch is outside/inside...probably more reliable than the batter who's going to have his own bias, not to mention his own skewed angle - a batter who is looking for an inside pitch is going to think a pitch that catches the outside of the plate is in the other batter's box.

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Usually not, but they do typically have a better view than the home viewer on whether a pitch is outside/inside...probably more reliable than the batter who's going to have his own bias, not to mention his own skewed angle - a batter who is looking for an inside pitch is going to think a pitch that catches the outside of the plate is in the other batter's box.

you think from the press box they have a better view? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought most broadcasters simply call the game from their monitors and not actually look down at the batter. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

you think from the press box they have a better view? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought most broadcasters simply call the game from their monitors and not actually look down at the batter. 

They're doing both - but mostly watching the field, especially the color guy.  They're watching the replays on monitors like we are, but they're typically watching the game live - and in most parks they have a bird's eye view behind home plate.   You'll often hear announcers talk about something that you didn't see - because they were watching the field where the camera was following the ball.