• Similar Content

• By ousafe
      10U (LL minors) game.  0 out, pitched ball gets away from F2.  R1 tries to advance. Throw from F2 to F6 at the bag takes F6 two steps from second toward first.  R1, slides way early and into F6, who is crouching to field the throw.  R1 is stopped well short of the bag upon making contact with F6.  The ball arrives about the same time as the runner (maybe a bit later).  F6 digs the ball in the dirt (nice play) and tags R1 lying next to him. 
      It could easily be argued that R1 would never have made it to the bag, had there been no contact with F6, because he started his slide so far away (these are small kids and don't slide far).  It appeared that R1 initiated his slide because he was taught always to slide when there was a chance of a collision at a bag/plate.  He absolutely should have run around the fielder, but he chose to slide instead.
      What's your call?
      What's your call if R1 dances around F6 but still gets tagged before reaching second?

As a spectator, I thought it might be OBS.  But I'm not sure if F6 is absolved of OBS because the throw took him into R1's path. But F6 could have more easily caught the throw if he'd taken a step in toward F2, catching the ball at his knees on the fly instead of in the dirt.  In my mind it seems wrong to absolve OBS because of a poor throw on the part of the defense.  And I'm not sure how to think about the "he wouldn't have made it to the base with that slide anyway" argument.

• By sd181612
      Gals and guys, I hope you all are doing well. This is going to be my first season umpiring behind the plate and I was hoping you all could give me some tips. I can't help but feel butterflies in my stomach at the thought of getting back there, but I've loved it since I was young. Thank you all.
    • By grayhawk

Talk amongst yourselves...
    • By basejester
      Little League Juniors.  Pitcher straddles the rubber and then brings his hands together for multiple seconds (clearly not a momentary adjustment) as if he were coming set.  He never engages.  I believe this is a mistake in procedure (rather than intent to deceive), but still called a balk per 8.05 (g) (quoted below from 2014 OBR).
      8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when—
      . . .
      (g) The pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch while he is not
      touching the pitcher’s plate;

Would you balk this? 

• By Moe
      So I had a situation with my partner yesterday. 2man system, runner at first, 18+ league. I am PU. Ball was hit to outfield, I had the runner rounding third and coming home. He missed third on his way. When the ball was sent back to the pitcher, he threw the ball to his third baseman who was standing on third saying they want to appeal. I called the runner out, and the run doesn't score. At the end of the inning, my partner was talking to the pitcher and third baseman on "how to do a proper appeal". He said that the pitcher had to be on the rubber, come set, step off, then make the throw, so the appeal they did wasn't valid and should not have been granted. I said that that doesn't fit with my memory on how to do an appeal properly, my partner has been umpiring for around 30+ years, so I trust him, and two) if the appeal should not be granted, why didn't he come to me and say that so I wouldn't call a runner out and take a run off the board.

I have two questions:

1) If the ball is not dead, does the pitcher need to be on the rubber then step off to initiate an appeal? I thought he had to be on the rubber just to make the ball live so he could step off and make the throw.

2) Should/would you approach me if you believe that I granted an illegal appeal, or would you let the call stand and basically tell the players that they did it wrong?