MLB Ejection 155 - Joe West (2; AJ Hinch)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2421 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2B Umpire Joe West ejected Astros Manager AJ Hinch (batter's interference call by HP Umpire Chris Segal) in the bottom of the 1st inning of the Rangers-Astros game. With none out and one on (R1), Astros batter Alex Bregman attempted to strike a 3-2 changeup from Rangers pitcher Nick Martinez as...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My goodness that's about as easy a call as you'll see.  Would have been interesting to hear what Hinch was arguing - that there was no contact?  

Doesn't seem like you see very often where the crew chief comes in and gets the EJ.  Is that the usual practice for the CC to come in during a fairly civil argument and tell the coach he has to stop or be ejected?  Seems like that should have been PU's job.  I'm not a Joe West basher by the way...

12 hours ago, zoops said:

My goodness that's about as easy a call as you'll see.  Would have been interesting to hear what Hinch was arguing - that there was no contact?  

Doesn't seem like you see very often where the crew chief comes in and gets the EJ.  Is that the usual practice for the CC to come in during a fairly civil argument and tell the coach he has to stop or be ejected?  Seems like that should have been PU's job.  I'm not a Joe West basher by the way...

This is a guess: there was no hindrance, so INT should not have been called. That's a silly argument—he can't dispute judgment—but a former F2 might have trouble resisting.

As for Joe, I expect that his reaction was about the same as yours: the call was obvious. The argument was a pointless delay. He went over to facilitate the manager's exit, and when he didn't, he showed him the way.

3 hours ago, maven said:

This is a guess: there was no hindrance, so INT should not have been called. That's a silly argument—he can't dispute judgment—but a former F2 might have trouble resisting.

As for Joe, I expect that his reaction was about the same as yours: the call was obvious. The argument was a pointless delay. He went over to facilitate the manager's exit, and when he didn't, he showed him the way.

Is it your position that there was no hindrance or are you suggesting that was Hinch's argument? 

With the throw sailing high like it did, that is an obvious hindrance without actual contact.

16 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Is it your position that there was no hindrance or are you suggesting that was Hinch's argument? 

With the throw sailing high like it did, that is an obvious hindrance without actual contact.

I agree. That's another reason it's a silly argument. Sorry that isn't clear in my post.

1 minute ago, maven said:

I agree. That's another reason it's a silly argument. Sorry that isn't clear in my post.

Of course if that same situation occurred to Hinch back in his playing days, he would have been screaming bloody murder for an INT call.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."  Mel Brooks, The 2,000 Year Old Man