Jump to content

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLB Ejection 155 - Joe West (2; AJ Hinch)

Recommended Posts

Gil    293

2B Umpire Joe West ejected Astros Manager AJ Hinch (batter's interference call by HP Umpire Chris Segal) in the bottom of the 1st inning of the Rangers-Astros game. With none out and one on (R1), Astros batter Alex Bregman attempted to strike a 3-2 changeup from Rangers pitcher Nick Martinez as...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
zoops    48

My goodness that's about as easy a call as you'll see.  Would have been interesting to hear what Hinch was arguing - that there was no contact?  

Doesn't seem like you see very often where the crew chief comes in and gets the EJ.  Is that the usual practice for the CC to come in during a fairly civil argument and tell the coach he has to stop or be ejected?  Seems like that should have been PU's job.  I'm not a Joe West basher by the way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maven    3,881
12 hours ago, zoops said:

My goodness that's about as easy a call as you'll see.  Would have been interesting to hear what Hinch was arguing - that there was no contact?  

Doesn't seem like you see very often where the crew chief comes in and gets the EJ.  Is that the usual practice for the CC to come in during a fairly civil argument and tell the coach he has to stop or be ejected?  Seems like that should have been PU's job.  I'm not a Joe West basher by the way...

This is a guess: there was no hindrance, so INT should not have been called. That's a silly argument—he can't dispute judgment—but a former F2 might have trouble resisting.

As for Joe, I expect that his reaction was about the same as yours: the call was obvious. The argument was a pointless delay. He went over to facilitate the manager's exit, and when he didn't, he showed him the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richvee    1,724

Is it my imagination or does Segal seem to get a harder time from managers for any call he makes? Maybe it's just that I know him and follow him a little more closely than others. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
conbo61    621
3 hours ago, maven said:

This is a guess: there was no hindrance, so INT should not have been called. That's a silly argument—he can't dispute judgment—but a former F2 might have trouble resisting.

As for Joe, I expect that his reaction was about the same as yours: the call was obvious. The argument was a pointless delay. He went over to facilitate the manager's exit, and when he didn't, he showed him the way.

Is it your position that there was no hindrance or are you suggesting that was Hinch's argument? 

With the throw sailing high like it did, that is an obvious hindrance without actual contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maven    3,881
16 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Is it your position that there was no hindrance or are you suggesting that was Hinch's argument? 

With the throw sailing high like it did, that is an obvious hindrance without actual contact.

I agree. That's another reason it's a silly argument. Sorry that isn't clear in my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
conbo61    621
1 minute ago, maven said:

I agree. That's another reason it's a silly argument. Sorry that isn't clear in my post.

Of course if that same situation occurred to Hinch back in his playing days, he would have been screaming bloody murder for an INT call.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."  Mel Brooks, The 2,000 Year Old Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×