Sign in to follow this  
Guest CD3

Runner Interference?

Question

Guest CD3

OK, quick runner interference question.

Situation...Runner on 1st with 1 out.  Hot line drive up the middle that looks like it will make it through, but SS makes great play to snag it.  Runner reads as through, then freezes once caught.  Runner stands facing the SS who turns and throws to 1st to double up the runner.  Runner, while backing up toward 1st, puts hands up as to catch the ball, then pulls them back without contacting the ball.  1st baseman misses the throw and the runner returns safely to 1st.  Runner out for interference or no?  Also, nothing verbal and no contact with 1st baseman.

Thanks in advance!

7 answers to this question

Trying to hinder without actual hindrance is nothing. This sounds like nothing.

But he's trying to hinder, so if I judged that he actually did hinder F3 that would be sufficient for INT, and I'd give him what he wanted. Contact with the ball is not required (though makes the hindrance more obvious).

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Assuming the throw was reasonably directly to F3, and not in the dirt or well over F3's head, I'm at least 100% sure that R1 interfered in this situation.

Well, I hedged a bit in my response. This is a judgment call, which is difficult to determine without seeing the play.

It is possible to clarify the rules issue, however: the key concept is hindrance, not contact (with ball or fielder). If we judge hindrance, call the INT. Otherwise, merely trying to hinder is nothing.

50 minutes ago, maven said:

Well, I hedged a bit in my response. This is a judgment call, which is difficult to determine without seeing the play.

It is possible to clarify the rules issue, however: the key concept is hindrance, not contact (with ball or fielder). If we judge hindrance, call the INT. Otherwise, merely trying to hinder is nothing.

I think it's no different that having a runner cross in front of a fielder on a ground ball. Fielders know the runner will be there. It's on them.  Concentrate. Track the ball. You know how because you couldn't hit if you can't concentrate and track a ball. 

If you are headed to, for example, 3B and you know a throw is coming from behind you run toward the fielder's glove. Normal. Routine. Deal with it.

8 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

I think it's no different that having a runner cross in front of a fielder on a ground ball. Fielders know the runner will be there. It's on them.  Concentrate. Track the ball. You know how because you couldn't hit if you can't concentrate and track a ball. 

If you are headed to, for example, 3B and you know a throw is coming from behind you run toward the fielder's glove. Normal. Routine. Deal with it.

It's different because of this part of the OP:  Runner, while backing up toward 1st, puts hands up as to catch the ball, then pulls them back without contacting the ball.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this