Home Plate Collission

Guest comishrrl2
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2400 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest comishrrl2

Sirs,

The new Major League rules regarding home plate collisions are relatively clear accept in one situation. 

The throw comes in from the outfielder and beats the runner. The catcher secures the ball up the line toward 3rd base and is in the umpires discretion directly in the base line. A collision ensues and the ball is not dislodged. The umpire rules the runner out and the defense asks for an ejection of the runner. The umpires meet and discuss and allow the out with no ejection. Is the runner OK to initiate a collision with the catcher if the catcher is in possession of the ball and still chooses to, in effect, "block the path"?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Guest comishrrl2 said:

Sirs,

The new Major League rules regarding home plate collisions are relatively clear accept in one situation. 

The throw comes in from the outfielder and beats the runner. The catcher secures the ball up the line toward 3rd base and is in the umpires discretion directly in the base line. A collision ensues and the ball is not dislodged. The umpire rules the runner out and the defense asks for an ejection of the runner. The umpires meet and discuss and allow the out with no ejection. Is the runner OK to initiate a collision with the catcher if the catcher is in possession of the ball and still chooses to, in effect, "block the path"?

Seems clear to me.

6.01)(i)(1) Comment:  If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the
umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision
in violation of this Rule 6.01(i)(1):

On 8/30/2017 at 1:15 PM, Rich Ives said:

Seems clear to me.

6.01)(i)(1) Comment:  If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the
umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision
in violation of this Rule 6.01(i)(1):

That still doesn't give the runner the right to initiate a collision by lowering his shoulder, throwing a forearm, deviating from his path, etc. 

1 minute ago, Rich Ives said:

No one said the runner did that.

Our guest asked if it was okay for the runner to initiate a collision, and the answer is no. The criteria for initiating a collision can be found in the rule book.