ALWS

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2389 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If you have the "watch ESPN" app, you can watch the ALWS on "replay"...except for game 14 (the game from which the photos above come from).  For some reason, Game 14 was the only game that was not archived.  If you want to see me on the plate, I was also on the plate for Game 6.

10 hours ago, lawump said:

If you have the "watch ESPN" app, you can watch the ALWS on "replay"...except for game 14 (the game from which the photos above come from).  For some reason, Game 14 was the only game that was not archived.  If you want to see me on the plate, I was also on the plate for Game 6.

congrats.

now can you use the 2nd or 3rd photo posted in place of the ones I have seen you still using, where you look the age of these players that were captured????

7 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

@lawump, I think he just called you OLD!   :stir

Since I only used terminology that inferred the word, but you actually used the word, does that mean I get to stay  in the game (like coaches think) but you get dumped, or does that mean that we both get dumped.

Here is a quick clip of that game 6, where he set the speed demon record of 1:27 in a game that started at 10:06pm. Only 5 hits in the whole game, 4 for the winners and 1 hit for the loser, and only 3 walks in the 163 pitch game.

13 hours ago, zoops said:

What's the experience like in Shelby?  I know a couple people who have done one and have good things to say.  Had you worked an ALWS before?  

This was my second.

The experience is amazing.  You get a gift basket (shirts, mementos, etc.) when you check in to the hotel, and it just gets better from there.  We have a big locker room.  A local high school umpire is hired by the organizing committee to be our "clubbie".  We have a full spread of food, snacks, gum, drinks, etc. every day.  We have an HD TV in the lockerroom to watch the game that is being played so we don't have to sit in the sun before our next game.  The baseball is high quality (we have some freshman Div. 1 players, and a lot of high school seniors who are going Div. 1 or are pro prospects).  The arguing (by coaches/players) is almost non-existent due to the fact that if you get ejected you are suspended for the rest of the tournament.  

In other words, it's real good baseball, with almost no arguments, in front of large crowds, on national television, with lots of "free stuff".  Other than the possibility of screwing up on national TV and having someone start a "discussion/thread" on this website, what's not to like?  LOL

12 minutes ago, LRZ said:

What was the discussion about in the photo of the four umpires (http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/vrstudio/albums/game_fourteen__nc_vs_ne/567353/guest/v2sgizd058o7cke/)? Seems like one fellow was a little animated.

"I saw lightning!  I saw lightning!"  

"Go ask the tournament director if it is close enough that we should stop the game."  (He had a lightning detector).

A few minutes later:  http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/vrstudio/albums/game_fourteen__nc_vs_ne/567353/guest/0d7qd88tb8le5sr

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

I reread it and I think you're right. He is definitely calling him old.  After looking at the pictures, he's right. He is old.

That's it!  I'm going out and buying "just for men" tonight!