Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
timelydew

Verbal Obstruction & Interference (OBR; Does it Exist?)

Question

timelydew    0

Once and for all, is there or is there not verbal obstruction/interference in MLB/OBR rules? To wit, the definition of offensive interference is sufficiently vague enough to perhaps include it (Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders, or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play). 

I've operated under the notion that it does NOT exist at the pro level after meticulous research on the internet, which has led me to such information as Carl Childress's rule differences and other interpretations that seem to support that. Conversely, I've found some arguments that support that it does exist, although I can't find any real, tangible proof of a play called as verbal obstruction or interference at the pro level. Since this site has been extremely helpful to me in answering some esoteric rules questions, I feel there's a wealth of knowledge here that might help settle this one for me.

2 answers to this question

noumpere    2,413
1 minute ago, timelydew said:

Once and for all, is there or is there not verbal obstruction/interference in MLB/OBR rules? To wit, the definition of offensive interference is sufficiently vague enough to perhaps include it (Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders, or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play). 

I've operated under the notion that it does NOT exist at the pro level after meticulous research on the internet, which has led me to such information as Carl Childress's rule differences and other interpretations that seem to support that. Conversely, I've found some arguments that support that it does exist, although I can't find any real, tangible proof of a play called as verbal obstruction or interference at the pro level. Since this site has been extremely helpful to me in answering some esoteric rules questions, I feel there's a wealth of knowledge here that might help settle this one for me.

No.  But, enforce it as if it does at the levels most of us do.

• Like 1

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
timelydew    0
5 minutes ago, noumpere said:

No.  But, enforce it as if it does at the levels most of us do.

Fair enough. I've seen some people say as much elsewhere. I guess the premise is that a professional player (especially a MLB player) should have the wherewithal to ignore it, whereas it might hinder a player who's not a professional. At least, that's how I tell it to myself. I don't accept many double standards but I can accept this one.

By the way, you in particular have been very helpful to me on here. Thanks for all your thoughtful answers. You've given me a greater understanding of many rules in a short time. OK, no more ego stroking. :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this