Game winning home run

jjskitours
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2423 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

The bases are loaded with two outs. The score is tied in the last inning when B6 hits a grand slam home run over the fence. R1 thinking  the home run automatically wins the game, leaves the base line and heads toward the bench. Is R1 is declared "out" for abandonment or subject to appeal at 2nd base. If abandonment does the timing matter if before R3 touches home plate? I know on a walk, HBP that only B-R and R3 are required to advance, but what about on a HR over the fence?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

It is my understanding, under OBR, that the only requirements are, are that the batter runner must touch first base and R3 must touch home plate. The game ends when those two requirements are met.

Thankfully, this exact situation is covered in the rule book

Rule 5.09(b)(1) and (2) Comment (Rule 7.08(a ) Comment): Any runner after reaching first base who leaves the base path heading for his dugout or his position believing that there is no further play, may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning his efforts to run the bases. Even though an out is called, the ball remains in play in regard to any other runner. This rule also covers the following and similar plays: Less than two out, score tied last of ninth inning, runner on first, batter hits a ball out of park for winning run, the runner on first passes second and thinking the home run automatically wins the game, cuts across diamond toward his bench as batter-runner circles bases. In this case, the base runner would be called out “for abandoning his effort to touch the next base” and batterrunner permitted to continue around bases to make his home run valid. If there are two out, home run would not count. See Rule 5.09(d) (Rule 7.12). This is not an appeal play.

my bolding

Official Interpretation: Rice for Wendelstedt School:  The definition of a force play is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner. The force is removed if the forced runner touches his next base or a following runner is put out before he reaches his next base. Simply put, if a runner is put out for any reason prior to the force being removed, it is a force out. Abandonment would be no different. (2016 BRD, section 453, p. 301)

Play:  R1, R3, two outs, no count, tie score. The batter knocks a base hit. R3 scores on the play, but R1 runs off the field to celebrate believing the game is immediately over and is called out for abandoning his effort to run the bases. Ruling:  Since R1 is called out for the third out on a force play, no run scores. (Adapted from the 2013 WRIM, play P489, p. 259)

11 hours ago, Gfoley4 said:

Thankfully, this exact situation is covered in the rule book

my bolding

This begs the issue of abandoning before the runner touches his forced base. @Senor Azul addresses it with his interp which seems different from what might have been an earlier interp where abandoning a forced base on a batted ball would be a time play still subject to appeal as a force out. 

2 hours ago, Guest Den. said:

It is my understanding, under OBR, that the only requirements are, are that the batter runner must touch first base and R3 must touch home plate. The game ends when those two requirements are met.

That only applies on a non batted ball such as a walk.

10 hours ago, Jimurray said:

This begs the issue of abandoning before the runner touches his forced play. @Senor Azul addresses it with his interp which seems different from what might have been an earlier interp where abandoning a forced base on a batted ball would be a time play still subject to appeal as a force out. 

The "experts" have had different opinions on this over the years.  Some have said "abandonment is a time play, but the defense can still "appeal" to get the out and make it a force play."  Others have said it's a force play (as in Wendelstadt's post above).  I have no idea where the various entities currently stand on the issue.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

The "experts" have had different opinions on this over the years.  Some have said "abandonment is a time play, but the defense can still "appeal" to get the out and make it a force play."  Others have said it's a force play (as in Wendelstadt's post above).  I have no idea where the various entities currently stand on the issue.

Merkle was a force.