ESPN MLB Rules Quiz from 2013

hbk314
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2416 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, LRZ said:

Rich Marazzi. About 35 years ago, when I began umpiring, I had a book by Marazzi that was the clearest exposition of OBR rules I've ever come across.

"THE RULES AND LORE OF BASEBALL"?

Yes, that is the book. It was so helpful back then, long before all these umpiring/mechanics manuals existed or were available to the amateur world. I wonder how out of date it is now. I also had an amateurishly-printed mechanics manual,  maybe 10-12 pages long.

My favorite thing about this, and Gil noted this in his article as well, is that these are all two-choice questions. You'd think that in the long run with pure guessing, the average would be roughly 50%.

Average Score: 38%

Obviously this speaks to the rules knowledge of those taking the quiz, but does it also suggest that some of the rules in the quiz may be counter-intuitive to people with little or no rules knowledge coming in?