Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
HokieUmp

Brief moment of fame (?)

HokieUmp    271

For a few minutes, I was the proud owner of a game-worn MiLB manager's cap.  It doesn't end with the same amount of glory, but still something I didn't expect.

Toledo Mudhens @ your Norfolk Tides, this past Saturday.  About the 7th inning.  A high strike is called on Chris Johnson (who may or may not be manager Ron Johnson's son - I've seen references to something about it, but am frankly too lazy to look right now.) for strike three.  And while I understand the brotherhood in blue/powder/black - it was a brutally terrible call.  Highest strike call of the night.

C. Johnson objects verbally.  C. Johnson gestures across the plate with his bat, holding it exaggeratedly high (this was the point where I send to my friend with me "He's done.  Matter of time.").  Another couple arm motions.  Whoosh.  R. Johnson heads out - too late, in my opinion - and decides he's also gonna get his money's worth.  Whoosh.

As he leaves, R. Johnson angrily throws his hat into the seats behind the 1B dugout, where it lands about two rows in front of Your Intrepid Correspondent.  No kids around, no one else is moving, I go after the hat.  It's got "Johnson 4" on the inside.  And it fits like a glove.  (Yes, I put someone else's hat on my head.  I'm sure my cooties immunizations from elementary school are still working.)

Few minutes later, a Tides employee comes down and asks me if I'll give the hat back, and they'll trade me a fitted, autographed Tides cap.  (Autographed by R. Johnson, of course.)  I realize at that moment that's his schtick, throwing the hat into the stands.  But I'm also not going to be a douche about it, so I say sure.  "It's the same size as that hat" was a selling point.

It was not the same size.

Someone must have seen me try it on, because the dude came back with a hat stretcher, to try and make it fit.  I guess maybe kids normally get the hat, or something.  He tried two sessions of stretching;  after the second, I had decided I was going to say it was fine, regardless.  I tried it again during the fireworks after the 12th inning (!) win by the Tides;  the over-under on the excruciating headache is about three minutes, by my estimation.

So I don't have The Actual Hat, but I got a signed fitted cap (that my wife and I might be able to stretch at some point), and a story to tell.

• Like 1

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Cav    153

In the end, the memory will prove more valuable than the cap.

• Like 1

Richvee    1,724

Aren't autographed hats and balls and the like supposed to just sit on a shelf anyway?

Unless it's your step dad's Babe Ruth ball and your friends need a ball to play because the the beast got your last ball.

• Like 2

udbrky    240

Wikipedia and Baseball-Reference both confirm it is father-son.