Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Thawk

Time Play Mechanic

Thawk    42

I was at a AAA ballgame this past weekend, and saw a very interesting form of timing play mechanics.  Obviously there was a timing play at the plate.  Run scored, and when the out was called at second, PU signaled two times to the plate, and then turned around and signaled up to the press box level to inform the scorekeeper.  When he did, he made it with a very emphatic motion, and it actually looked like he ejected someone.  The catcher even thought he had been thrown out of the game and started arguing with the PU, manager right on his heels.  Took about 5 seconds, but when the catcher and manager understood what the PU did, they ended up having a laugh about it.  Guess the PU was wanting to keep the players on their toes.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Jimurray    544
5 minutes ago, johnpatrick said:

Finger pointed up to the press box with the verbal "score one run".  I suppose that could be misinterpreted as an ejection.

Slightly off topic. Locate the press box when you call at a new field. We've had guys signaling subs and such to a skybox behind HP. The actual press box was up around third base.

Jimurray    544
1 hour ago, stkjock said:

I'm just sitting here waiting on @maven to come in and correct the title wording... :D 

Always good to use proper terminology. But where does "time play" come from? It's not in the rule book. 

maven    3,891
1 hour ago, stkjock said:

I'm just sitting here waiting on @maven to come in and correct the title wording... :D 

Well now I don't need to. :P

• Like 1

noumpere    2,415
1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Always good to use proper terminology. But where does "time play" come from? It's not in the rule book. 

I'm pretty sure J/R uses it.  Maybe others.

And -- who had 10:06 Central time in the "correct the title" pool?  ;)

HokieUmp    271
On 8/22/2017 at 10:54 AM, Jimurray said:

Slightly off topic. Locate the press box when you call at a new field. We've had guys signaling subs and such to a skybox behind HP. The actual press box was up around third base.

I'm sorry.  What is this pre... pre...  press .... box? of which you speak?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Richvee    1,725
16 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

I'm sorry.  What is this pre... pre...  press .... box? of which you speak?

I was wondering the same thing.:HS