Injury Scout - Hit by Warmup Toss, Wendelstedt Leaves

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2431 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Struck in the mask by an errant warm-up pitch, HP Umpire Hunter Wendelstedt left Monday night's game in Cleveland an out after the initial delay. Wendelstedt is evaluated after a hit to the head.With two out and one on in the bottom of the 6th inning of the Red Sox-Indians game, Wendelstedt...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

9 hours ago, Gil said:

Struck in the mask by an errant warm-up pitch, HP Umpire Hunter Wendelstedt left Monday night's game in Cleveland an out after the initial delay. Wendelstedt is evaluated after a hit to the head.With two out and one on in the bottom of the 6th inning of the Red Sox-Indians game, Wendelstedt...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

What type of mask for the gear junkies does he wear. There are no 100% totally invincible masks yet.

What is going on with pitch fx. are they pulling certain games at the request of mlb.

never before, until recently was there a problem going down the full list of games on a particular day and getting the game zone charts (maybe I was just "lucky", which would be a first.

latest for me was the fact that Mahrley's first PU game (i think) is not showing up for posterity purposes. another game was not posted recently. What is the scoop?????

I commented on this over here:

@Thunderheads, I hope you're right, but I don't hope you're right. Either way, we owners of the FM4000 know there's not a lot of distance from bars to forehead within which to put a ballcap brim... which I have a hunch is a culprit in Hunter's pain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I don't use my 4000 with an 8 Stitch. It's always with a 6

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@maven did not agree with my 2013 observation that the adoption of the eight stitch, seemingly more prevalent that year in MLB,  might cause injury. 

But recently the Hallion and Wendelstedt hit might be examples of the "cardboard" brim transmitting force. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimurray said:

@maven did not agree with my 2013 observation that the adoption of the eight stitch, seemingly more prevalent that year in MLB,  might cause injury. 

But recently the Hallion and Wendelstedt hit might be examples of the "cardboard" brim transmitting force. 

Let me clarify ....

I don't use an 8 stitch with the FM4000 because it's too long.  You can do it, ...but it does 'creep' a little and causes the mask to sit a little off-kilter ....I prefer not to and don a 6 stitch.  For Michigan high school ball however, it's a 4 stitch as MHSAA doesn't have a 6" logo cap (don't ask! :( )

10 hours ago, Jimurray said:

First off, you quote Jeff and then write about me? Huh?

Next: caps don't cause injuries, baseballs hitting umpires cause injuries.

Finally, anecdotal evidence does not a generalization justify.

I think Yoda said that once.

1 minute ago, maven said:

First off, you quote Jeff and then write about me? Huh?

Next: caps don't cause injuries, baseballs hitting umpires cause injuries.

Finally, anecdotal evidence does not a generalization justify.

I think Yoda said that once.

Just bringing you into the discussion of brim size and whether it can transmit force when the mask hits it. You disagreed in a 2013 thread that I couldn't reference. And we don't have any evidence. Just suppositions that might or might not be correct. Be nice to know what Hallion and Wendelstedts foreheads looked like after the hit and whether they had an opinion on whether their brim had anything to do with transmitting force.