Register or Sign In to remove these ads
stl_ump

Plate umpire calls time... and it's all downhill from there.

stl_ump    90

Last nights game STL vs. BOS

Critical part of the 9th inning.  Pitcher is set and  remains in this pre-pitch state for seven seconds. (mostly looking at the runner on 2nd)

Just before the pitch, plate umpire calls time.   OBR 5.04(b)(2) Comment: "If pitcher delays once the batter is in his box and the umpire feels that the delay is not justified he may allow the batter to step out of the box momentarily." The batted need not request "Time."

Catcher gets pissed about it, MGR intervenes to protect catcher and gets tossed.  I've never seen an umpire call time like that before without the batter or catcher asking for time.  Unusual?

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Rich Ives    956
11 minutes ago, stl_ump said:

Last nights game STL vs. BOS

Critical part of the 9th inning.  Pitcher is set and  remains in this pre-pitch state for seven seconds. (mostly looking at the runner on 2nd)

Just before the pitch, plate umpire calls time.   OBR 5.04(b)(2) Comment: "If pitcher delays once the batter is in his box and the umpire feels that the delay is not justified he may allow the batter to step out of the box momentarily." The batted need not request "Time."

Catcher gets pissed about it, MGR intervenes to protect catcher and gets tossed.  I've never seen an umpire call time like that before without the batter or catcher asking for time.  Unusual?

Did the batter step out. If not the rule doesn't apply.

Mattheny was a catcher. He knows what he's experienced.

stl_ump    90

Batter didn't step out.  Catcher didn't ask for it.  Evidently the umpire felt it was to long and decided to call it on his own.  That's what everyone was pissed about.  Not to common for this to happen it appears.

zoops    48

I don't see the big deal; it's a time call for Pete's sake.  If the umpire feels he needs time so be it.  He clearly came out with the "time" call before the pitcher began his delivery, so those comments on the CCS article are nonsense.  I always hate it when teams chirp about "calling time when the pitcher was already started" - by the time you decide you're going to call time and verbalize/signal it, sure the pitcher could be starting his delivery, but so it goes.  He also could have sat there for another 5 seconds for all we knew.  

There had to have been some other bad blood boiling between the umpire and the Cardinals in order to get that reaction out of them, and it sounds like there was.  

Some of the comments on the article about the umpire being the aggressor are pretty unfair IMO...Molina pretty clearly and aggressively starts the confrontation.  

• Like 1

UMP45    299
1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

If the batter wasn't upset and asking for time why should the PU interject himself into the game?

Cards were right to be POed.

Because umpires also have a rhythm when they work the plate. But you've never strapped it on so...

• Like 13

Mudisfun    399
43 minutes ago, UMP45 said:

Because umpires also have a rhythm when they work the plate. But you've never strapped it on so...

You get a like for this one.

dumbdumb    305
6 hours ago, UMP45 said:

Beulah Ballbreaker, Jr. you are.

stkjock    272

no idea how truthful it is, heard a comment on last nights Mets broadcast that the PU called time "because I needed a break"

I have not tried to verify the comment as of yet.

UMP45    299
On 8/17/2017 at 10:41 PM, dumbdumb said:

Beulah Ballbreaker, Jr. you are.

I'm an umpire. I call it like I see it!

Richvee    1,724

I just hope this doesn't cost Chis Segal a shot at one of the next full time openings. I think he's a great umpire and handles situations well. (Loved the harper EJ and aftermath confrontation a few weeks ago). Granted this one looked bad, but in all reality, I don't see the big deal. He called time after F1 was standing there staring at 2B for 7 seconds. He called time when F1 was still looking at 2B. "I needed a break" was the wrong response. Molina lost his $h*t for some reason, and Matheny was getting tossed as soon as he left the dugout to protect Molina. Maybe Matheny just didn't want to watch an inexperienced relief pitcher  blow another 9th inning lead for his team. It was obvious this kid wasn't getting through that inning without giving it up. On another note, I did like the Segal EJ mechanic....."GONE!!"

ElkOil    695
On 8/17/2017 at 1:37 PM, Rich Ives said:

If the batter wasn't upset and asking for time why should the PU interject himself into the game?

Cards were right to be POed.

The umpire is the only person in the game who can call time. Everyone else only requests it. It's his prerogative to manage the game as he sees fit, and he also needs to be ready for the pitch. If the umpire isn't ready, he can call time for his own sake. At no level does this rise to "interjecting himself into the game." 

You should try being an umpire some time. You'd get quite an education and I'm confident your demeanor and opinions towards them would change for the better.

• Like 4

SJA    190

Chris is a great guy and a damn good ump. He was one of the instructors @ NYSUA Clinic last Jan. Great to have had him work with me.

:-)

• Like 1

Rich Ives    956
9 hours ago, ElkOil said:

The umpire is the only person in the game who can call time. Everyone else only requests it. It's his prerogative to manage the game as he sees fit, and he also needs to be ready for the pitch. If the umpire isn't ready, he can call time for his own sake. At no level does this rise to "interjecting himself into the game." 

You should try being an umpire some time. You'd get quite an education and I'm confident your demeanor and opinions towards them would change for the better.

BS. It's not your game.

ElkOil    695
57 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

BS. It's not your game.

Show me where I said it was, Rich. I never so much as implied it. What IS squarely in the purview of the umpire is game management, including calling time when necessary -- even if the batter didn't request it. The umpire's need for a time out is as valid as anyone else's. That was my only point relative to the OP.

And as for my point relative to you, get some training, gear up, get behind the plate and stay active on this forum. Then you'll understand our frustration when you read posts from people like who you were before. Instead of criticizing our ranks, join them.

• Like 2

UMP45    299
3 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Show me where I said it was, Rich. I never so much as implied it. What IS squarely in the purview of the umpire is game management, including calling time when necessary -- even if the batter didn't request it. The umpire's need for a time out is as valid as anyone else's. That was my only point relative to the OP.

And as for my point relative to you, get some training, gear up, get behind the plate and stay active on this forum. Then you'll understand our frustration when you read posts from people like who you were before. Instead of criticizing our ranks, join them.

Remember his avatar.

• Like 1