Strike 3 Mechanic

hbk314
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2207 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Good for him. 

I take my avocation of umpiring the game I've loved since I've been 4 years old a lot more seriously than this.  A whole lot!  The game, and the profession of umpiring, deserves respect. 

I would, respectfully, decline any assignment I would be given with Mr. Reed.  Of course, that would never come to opportunity, but I think you catch my drift...

Sure, it's funny and lighthearted, but this is an example of an umpire making the game about himself.

The last thing I want as a batter who just looked at strike three is to see that happening behind me...I'd be tossed pretty quickly, though I hope he'd have the same latitude in me showing him up as him showing me up.

On the other side...if I know he's umping I'm not getting past strike one.

• 2 weeks later...

If the coaches and players don't care then  should we?  He's a rec ball umpire and if that's what he aspires to then good for him.  As long as his zone and judgement are good then I suppose his strike three call shouldn't be an issue.

I umpired with a guy that had an "interesting" strike 3 call but he was also a terrible umpire.  Terrible zone, terrible mechanics, no hustle on the field.  his strike 3 antics just seemed to magnify his poor performance.

That being said, his indicator is in his right hand and you can't punch out a swinging 3rd strike. ;)

• 6 months later...

Mine is a point with 3 fingers, verbal "Strike 3", a step back while pulling the right hand back, and then a forward punch. If Strike 3 is not caught, I call the verbal strike 3, point 3 fingers, and say "No catch". Swinging Strike 3 that is caught is point 3 fingers, then give the hammer. 

If I have to use the hammer (softball, or Umpire School, hopefully), I make the hammer, verbal "Strike 3", and do the same moves (step back, forward punch). For a U3K, I call the verbal strike 3,  hammer, give the safe signal, and say "No catch". Swinging strike 3 is simply the hammer in that scenario.