Register or Sign In to remove these ads
hbk314

Strike 3 Mechanic

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
UmpJeff    265

Good for him. 

I take my avocation of umpiring the game I've loved since I've been 4 years old a lot more seriously than this.  A whole lot!  The game, and the profession of umpiring, deserves respect. 

I would, respectfully, decline any assignment I would be given with Mr. Reed.  Of course, that would never come to opportunity, but I think you catch my drift...

Thawk    42
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Stk004 said:

Believe it or not we watched this video in training. 

Please tell me it was in a "How not to call a game" training?

• Like 1

LMSANS    495

The guy that hooked me up with umpiring has a 5 syllable strike call and has been known to moon dance.  He is liked by a lot of the schools.  I don't understand it.

beerguy55    180

Sure, it's funny and lighthearted, but this is an example of an umpire making the game about himself.

The last thing I want as a batter who just looked at strike three is to see that happening behind me...I'd be tossed pretty quickly, though I hope he'd have the same latitude in me showing him up as him showing me up.

On the other side...if I know he's umping I'm not getting past strike one.

BT_Blue    820

I love this guy!

He has come out and said that he knows he will never advance beyond rec ball. And he is fine with that.

The problem comes with people watching him and expecting to advance using those mechanics. 

stl_ump    90

If the coaches and players don't care then  should we?  He's a rec ball umpire and if that's what he aspires to then good for him.  As long as his zone and judgement are good then I suppose his strike three call shouldn't be an issue.

I umpired with a guy that had an "interesting" strike 3 call but he was also a terrible umpire.  Terrible zone, terrible mechanics, no hustle on the field.  his strike 3 antics just seemed to magnify his poor performance.

That being said, his indicator is in his right hand and you can't punch out a swinging 3rd strike. ;)