Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Umpire in Chief    1,369

Do any of you have plans for the solar eclipse Monday?

I was already planning on a mini vacation to see my best friend from HS up in Maine @SunDevil#71 and returning home that Monday with my son, but my son has successfully twisted my arm and convinced me that we need to go to my mother's house in South Carolina where she will be in the 100% totality zone. ME is like 65%, Our house is 85%. So I'm leaving Maine at Zero-dark-thirty and driving 1100 miles to SC on Sunday. Here's a little map of our trip.

• 6 days
  • 14 States + DC (Visiting my sister tomorrow just outside of DC) NC, VA, DC, MD, DE, NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, ME, PA, WV, TN, SC
  • Over 2300 miles (taking a slightly longer route from ME to SC, but avoiding many major cities)
  • 37 hours of driving

But I'm looking forward to it and am hoping the weather holds out.

World Tour 2017.JPG

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Old Skool    47

Trying to get the day off of work set up to attend Memphis Redbirds PCL/AAA game.  In a stroke of Sports Marketing genius they are throwing their 1st pitch at 11:52am as the eclipse starts & it will be at 94% peak at 1:22.  Seems like a better way to spend the day than going to work.

• Like 2

KenBAZ    377

UIC, have you calculated when your going to hit the East coast cities in the Northbound trip? I know from having worked on the road in the Northeast that it can make a huge difference in travel time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Umpire in Chief    1,369
17 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

UIC, have you calculated when your going to hit the East coast cities in the Northbound trip? I know from having worked on the road in the Northeast that it can make a huge difference in travel time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm staying with My sister in Arlington tonight and will leave her house at 5:00 am to avoid the DC & Balt traffic, but may hit Wilmington/Philly am traffic. 

kylehutson    296

I'm driving approximately 75 miles to go from my house at 99% totality to my in-laws at 100%. I've been excited for this for at least 7 years when I found out about it.

The sheriff said their county normally has about 5k residents (yeah, it's rural) but they're expecting over 35k visitors and to expect to not have any gas in the stations nor food at the restaurants.

stevis    86

I am here--I95 took about 2:30 more than it should have--but not too happy with the cloud forecast.

Mudisfun    398

Went to work... looked up. Overcast. 

Thank God for TV coverage!

stevis    86

Just stunning.  The sky goes almost twilight, then--it's just eerie.  You've got the tiniest amount of direct light you've ever seen.  Then--the last sliver goes, you can see the corona blazing, look around in the eerie light from just outside the shadow--sunsets all around, it looks like.  Beautiful.

Already plotting April 8, 2024.   Seriously--take this experience if you can at all get it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevis said:

Just stunning.  The sky goes almost twilight, then--it's just eerie.  You've got the tiniest amount of direct light you've ever seen.  Then--the last sliver goes, you can see the corona blazing, look around in the eerie light from just outside the shadow--sunsets all around, it looks like.  Beautiful.

Already plotting April 8, 2024.   Seriously--take this experience if you can at all get it.

I am in the path of totality for 2024 but early April weather in northeast Ohio I'll bet you it will be raining.