Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Curious

Why is this out? Abandonment?

Question

Guest Curious   
Guest Curious

ZzcLmIz.gif

Don't see a tag attempt, isn't this the baserunner making his own basepath? Is the out call correct?

12 answers to this question

Umpire in Chief    1,375

The runner is allowed to make his own basepath until a play is being made on him once that occurs he must make a straight line towards the base.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
noumpere    2,415
8 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

The runner is allowed to make his own basepath until a play is being made on him once that occurs he must make a straight line towards the base.

must remain within three feet of a straight line to the next base.

maven    3,891
1 hour ago, Guest Curious said:

Don't see a tag attempt

I do. F4 runs right at him with the ball. Your threshold for "tag attempt" might need revision.

Jimurray    544
15 minutes ago, maven said:

I do. F4 runs right at him with the ball. Your threshold for "tag attempt" might need revision.

MLBUM added interp #30 this year. ".........i.e. the fielder is moving to tag the runner, no physical tag attempt is required to call a runner out for leaving the basepath."

• Like 2

noumpere    2,415
8 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

MLBUM added interp #30 this year. ".........i.e. the fielder is moving to tag the runner, no physical tag attempt is required to call a runner out for leaving the basepath."

I wouldn't have thought that would be needed.  I stand corrected.

Jimurray    544
8 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I wouldn't have thought that would be needed.  I stand corrected.

I wouldn't have though so either. I'm too lazy to quote the whole thing but @Umpire in Chiefs reference to "play" is also referenced in the interp.

maven    3,891
1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

I think that's misleading. The fielder moving to tag the runner IS a physical tag attempt. He doesn't have to do anything more than that.

Jimurray    544
2 hours ago, maven said:

I think that's misleading. The fielder moving to tag the runner IS a physical tag attempt. He doesn't have to do anything more than that.

I'm guessing that someone at the professional level and @Guest Curious thought the rule wording, "to
avoid being tagged", required an outstretched arm. Was there a play in the previous year that migh have engendered the interp? Edited to answer my own question: Maybe this one?

https://www.mlb.com/video/harrison-shows-moves-in-rundown/c-1037988783

Guest NJ Coach   
Guest NJ Coach

Not a surprise so many here slammed me for suggesting the HPU in our game was 'in the bag' for the other team when our catcher chased r3 to the dugout, who then juked and reached home and the ump allowed the run (among multiple other absurd calls)...Instead most of y'all told me to learn the baserunning rules rather that admit any umpire could be wrong or biased.

maven    3,891
27 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Not a surprise so many here slammed me for suggesting the HPU in our game was 'in the bag' for the other team when our catcher chased r3 to the dugout, who then juked and reached home and the ump allowed the run (among multiple other absurd calls)...Instead most of y'all told me to learn the baserunning rules rather that admit any umpire could be wrong or biased.

If you have a legitimate umpiring question, feel free to post it.

Arguing about cheating umpires is not appropriate for this site. There are plenty of other places on the internet where people will engage with your apparent desire to be right about how bad umpires are.

• Like 4

Rich Ives    956
30 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

You didn't get slammed for the rule - you got slammed for saying the ump was in the bag.

• Like 2

jjb    156
2 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Better idea; why not grab some gear and get behind the plate, and THEN yelp about the calls.

I had a veteran HS Coach decide to do get into Umpiring. He went through Umpire Training and I put him on a 10-year old Rec game. Afterward, he came off the field soaked in sweat, and told me "I had no -f------idea it was this hard". 

I promise you (because I watched), he blew  a bunch of calls himself.....(oh, and he's a great Umpire, now, and (admittedly) a much better Coach....)

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this