Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zoops

Line Drive Catch

6 posts in this topic

3 man mechanics.  R1, 1 out.  I'm in C (U3).  Batter hits a low rocket to F5, who gloves the ball right at ground level.  F5 didn't take a step in any direction, basically just reached down in front of his left foot to make the catch.  Whether it was a catch or no catch was very close, although I only heard 1 sound and did not see anything that would have led me to a call of no catch.  R1 took off running when the ball was hit and F5 immediately threw to 1B without selling a catch or even glancing toward 2B.  

I made no call on the catch as I thought/hoped that PU would.  PU also made no call on the catch. CCA mechanics say balls in front of the F5 are PU's responsibility and that balls toward the middle of the diamond are U3's responsibility, so this seems like a bit of a gray area.  We got together after the play.  PU was not sure if the ball was caught or not, while I and U1 had a catch.  We called it a catch and R1 out for a DP.  

Just wondering how we could have handled this better.  Should I have immediately come out with a loud and clear catch call as I would have if this ball were hit to F6 or F4?  My worry there is that PU comes out with the opposite and we have a double call.  Or should I just sell it immediately and clean up the mess if we do end up with a double call?  Should PU and U3 make eye contact before signalling a call?  

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I have always thought this was a "mistake" in the manual.  With two umpires, BU has F5 moving in.  With three umpires, PU has F5 moving in.  Yet, it's the same configuration and sight lines for the two umpires involved.  And, if F5 is really moving straight in, BU (U3) has the better angle.

To answer your question -- I'd have someone make a call.  Eye contact first can / should help, but it needs to be quick.

6 hours ago, zoops said:

3 man mechanics.  R1, 1 out.  I'm in C (U3).  Batter hits a low rocket to F5, who gloves the ball right at ground level.  F5 didn't take a step in any direction, basically just reached down in front of his left foot to make the catch.  Whether it was a catch or no catch was very close, although I only heard 1 sound and did not see anything that would have led me to a call of no catch.  R1 took off running when the ball was hit and F5 immediately threw to 1B without selling a catch or even glancing toward 2B.  

I made no call on the catch as I thought/hoped that PU would.  PU also made no call on the catch. CCA mechanics say balls in front of the F5 are PU's responsibility and that balls toward the middle of the diamond are U3's responsibility, so this seems like a bit of a gray area.  We got together after the play.  PU was not sure if the ball was caught or not, while I and U1 had a catch.  We called it a catch and R1 out for a DP.  

Just wondering how we could have handled this better.  Should I have immediately come out with a loud and clear catch call as I would have if this ball were hit to F6 or F4?  My worry there is that PU comes out with the opposite and we have a double call.  Or should I just sell it immediately and clean up the mess if we do end up with a double call?  Should PU and U3 make eye contact before signalling a call?  

I know your using CCA but PBUC, at least a few years ago, does it differently. PU has F1, F5 to his right, any infielder charging on the grass. U3 has F6, F5 in or to his left and F4 and F3 diving to their right. U1 has F4 and F3 otherwise. They also say that dividing the responsibilty is complex, requires eye contact, and all catch no catch sits in the infield should be covered by the CC with his crew and rebriefed if a new umpire joins the crew. 

You've got a pretty good look at this play. Nothing wrong with coming up hard, slapping your chest telling the PU you've got it, and selling that call.