Register or Sign In to remove these ads
KenBAZ

Rather Not Do That Again

Late and close MSBL game. R2, R3, 1 out. I'm on the plate. Infield is in. Right-handed batter hits a hard ground ball right down the 1st base line. I clear the catcher to the left trying to get on the line for the fair foul call. F3 fields the ball right over the line. I point it fair as the throw is on it's way to F3 and I get blown up by R3. R3 is lying on the ground 5 feet from the plate as F2 walks over and tags him for the out. I could have backed up to 1BLX and tried to see through the BR and F2. I could have moved to 3BLX and set up for the play at the plate while living with a bad angle on the fair foul call. I just hustled myself into a bad and dangerous spot. The runner was going on contact and was watching the play by F3. He said he didn't see me until we collided.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1BLX and take a step left or right, as necessary, to get a look around BR and F2.

• Like 1

Thanks, yeah more situational awareness is required. I need to take a more deliberate read and react approach. So much of the time I am moving instictively based on pre-programed habits. That allows you to be quicker and more athletic. But in a situation like this that you just don't get very often, those insticts can get you in big trouble. I remember Sarge at Evans' telling us about a MiLB umpire who had been permanently disabled by a runner from third.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1