May a fielder intentionally detach their glove to grab the ball with the hand their glove was on?

Guest fan7543
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2425 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest fan7543

This is hypothetical, and I don't have a specific rule-set in mind.

Suppose a right-handed fielder (i.e., glove on left hand) is chasing a rolling ball, and will not _immediately_ catch up to it.  They know that _when_ they catch up to it, they will need to quickly throw a fairly short distance to their right.  Are they allowed to, during the chase, remove their glove so that they can make the throw with their bare left hand?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Guest fan7543 said:

This is hypothetical, and I don't have a specific rule-set in mind.

Suppose a right-handed fielder (i.e., glove on left hand) is chasing a rolling ball, and will not _immediately_ catch up to it.  They know that _when_ they catch up to it, they will need to quickly throw a fairly short distance to their right.  Are they allowed to, during the chase, remove their glove so that they can make the throw with their bare left hand?

In the baseball umpire world this is not a hypothetical play. This is known as a "Third World Play."