Register or Sign In to remove these ads
johnnyg08

Darrin Sealey Resigns

31 posts in this topic

Just wondering out loud, as I have no idea how college assigning works, but do conferences bid on assignors? IOW, can a group like COG go to the Ivy league and say "we'd like to bid the contract to assign your leagues' baseball games?" Is it a yearly thing? Is it a contract that might extend over a number of years and then the league is free to look for other assignors, umpire groups? I have no idea, other than knowing COG has picked up quite a good number of conferences in it's 3 years of existence. They've put themselves on the map. They have some real good umpires, and some great training programs. Hopefully they can continue to thrive in the post Sealey era.

2 people like this

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
19 hours ago, Richvee said:

Just wondering out loud, as I have no idea how college assigning works, but do conferences bid on assignors? IOW, can a group like COG go to the Ivy league and say "we'd like to bid the contract to assign your leagues' baseball games?" Is it a yearly thing? Is it a contract that might extend over a number of years and then the league is free to look for other assignors, umpire groups? I have no idea, other than knowing COG has picked up quite a good number of conferences in it's 3 years of existence. They've put themselves on the map. They have some real good umpires, and some great training programs. Hopefully they can continue to thrive in the post Sealey era.

My understanding is this:

My assignor applies for conferences or basically bids on them. They bid on prices, number of umpires etc. It might include per diem and stuff like that too. D-1 programs pay big money for conference weekends for 3 or 4 umpires.

It works the same for summer college ball. For example my group does the Cape Cod League and the Hamptons league in NY, The COG guys for the NECBL.

Now, how do the 'Big Conferences' do it? I am not sure if they put it out to bid or not.

2 people like this

On 8/3/2017 at 2:04 PM, dumbdumb said:

Is this not the assignor for the d1 conferences like the ivy league, patriot league, maac, and NEC?

And         were there problems previously with the last assignor for this group above as sealey suddenly took these groups over out of nowhere.      What is going on in the assignment arena with this group of conferences.  

There were no previous problems with the last assignor.  What Sealey did was went in to every conference including the NECBL assigned by the last group and undercut their current fees dramatically.  It was easy for him to do because the game fees were posted on the previous assignor's website. So of course the conferences and summer leagues went for the less expensive proposal.  COG is full of great umpires but they are now working for less than they did a few years ago.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:21 PM, dumbdumb said:

whoever the person that previously did ivy, maac, patriot, nec, was suddenly gone and sealey took those conferences over. Why? The ACC person is suddenly gone. Why?

He still assigns in New England, and New York.

2 hours ago, celt62 said:

There were no previous problems with the last assignor.  What Sealey did was went in to every conference including the NECBL assigned by the last group and undercut their current fees dramatically.  It was easy for him to do because the game fees were posted on the previous assignor's website. So of course the conferences and summer leagues went for the less expensive proposal.  COG is full of great umpires but they are now working for less than they did a few years ago.

What it boils down to is most of them are whores. I guarantee they would be the same ones to cross a picket line. 

1 person likes this