Spray-Chalking bases, pitcher's plate, home plate.

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2452 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

12 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Are you stupid? The bases that inspired this OP were dark reddish brown. The plates had been sprayed white.

We're having this conversation because it's worthwhile. Keeping the bases viewable is a worthy cause. It helps the umpires get the calls right. It is far different than all the other grounds keeping tasks that we've all mentioned.

If you're just starting out, don't wear a ball bag in the field, but if you want to use your foot or a brush to clean the bases, do it. If you would like them sprayed white, ask your partner if it's worth asking the groundskeeper to do it and either live with them being dark, or thank him for spraying them.

If you're a veteran, ASK before you spray. That's my only regret. If the groundskeeper refuses to spray them, live with it ... but he doesn't get to say, "We'll do anything you want … just ask," and then refuse to spray the bases. He can say, "We spray the plates, but not the bases. That's off the table."

I may be stupid, but I've never missed a call because the base or plate wasn't white enough. I guess you're not that good. 

• Like 3

• LMSANS locked this topic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2452 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.