Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
mbkcoach

All American CP? Paint chipping off padding

Ok so I found an AA CP on the net for $40 shipped.  Did they paint the padding with navy blue paint? Because it is chipping off all over the place.  

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I don't think I've ever seen a Navy AA CP ............could it have been owner modified?

1 hour ago, mbkcoach said:

Ok so I found an AA CP on the net for $40 shipped.  Did they paint the vinyl padding with navy blue paint? Because it is chipping off all over the place.  

My black one had the padding paint chip off really bad, too.

1 hour ago, midtnump said:

I think the early ones did come in blue. Check with @catsbackr I believe he still has a blue AA cp. If you pick it up let me know I may be interested.

Oh I have it I stuck pad in washer. 

Ok the Cp is navy blue and the pad was painted navy blue. Wow AA had this pad thing figured out 25 years ago! Why doesn't anyone copy their idea? They use like memory foam behind the plates. The fabric they used was like a spandex. 

Why navy blue? We know why navy blue! Ask Dalco and Cliff Keen! Navy blue was the shirt color (and, more importantly, the plate coat color back in the 80's and 90's)!!

Look at the carapace design / planform @mbkcoach... where have you seen that before? Yup... Wilson Golds, Champros, Champions, Riddell Powers, heck even Schutts... they all use a similar planform. In fact, if you didn't have the All-American stickers on it, I'd tell you that was a Champion CP. Wilson's dependence on open-cell sofa cushion foam and nylon has to do with cost vs. durability. Memory foam is expensive. Sofa cushion foam is cheap and readily plentiful, especially when you source it from an upholstery company, and don't tell them it's headed for use in sporting goods (which drives the cost up, because the sports industry is perceived to have lots of money to throw around). Oh sure, memory foam has become / is becoming less expensive and more plentiful due to the increased competition in the mattress industry. All-American was, at one time, one of the Big Names in football equipment, specifically helmets and shoulder pads. Helmets started to use memory foams, while shoulder pads followed soon after once players demanded a lower-profile silhouette, and one that retained less heat and promoted breathability.

Each year, though, there is a fresh crop of youngsters who need new (or refurbished / reconditioned) shoulder pads and helmets. Thus, there is a dependable, captive purchasing market (often in the form of HS and College AD purchasing agents). How often do baseball umpires buy new gear?

This is why we're in the odd predicament we're in. We need football's more progressive technological advancements and much greater capital resources to drive our own gear development, but we need a company that actually caters to us primarily – not as an afterthought, token, or line-item on a corporate financial report – to actually design it.

• Like 2

mbkcoach,  how did you clean your pads?  What did you use?  I know those are elementary questions, but yours looks really good, I'd like to follow what you did.

I stuck the padding in the washing machine and I couldn't get padding off the shoulders so I stuck the rest in there too. Washed it twice in hot. And a third time in warm. Used regular dollar store detergent. Let air dry. 

• Like 1

Nothing will fix this problem...natural breakdown of the foam

Agree with Razzer.  Could you possibly have them hydro-dipped?  Other than that, or maybe dyed, I can't think of any way to have them look new(er) again.

After 3 washes, this is the best the coating came off. I made numerous calls to try and come up with a solution to fix this, but to no avail. But then.....

I reached out to a local upholstery shop. Purchased 2 yards of 90/10 Polyester Spandex swimwear lining from JOANN https://www.joann.com/swimwear-lining/xprd728506.html .

The shop will remove the velcro that holds the plates into place with a seam ripper, which that is how the Velcro is secured. She will then sew and cover the spandex onto the padding, restitch velrcro.

Really excited to make this look good again. More pix to come. She is charging me $50 to do this, along with the $13 and change I paid for the 2 yards of fabric.

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jwclubbie said:

After 3 washes, this is the best the coating came off. I made numerous calls to try and come up with a solution to fix this, but to no avail. But then.....

I reached out to a local upholstery shop. Purchased 2 yards of 90/10 Polyester Spandex swimwear lining. The shop will remove the velcro that holds the plates into place with a seam ripper, which that is how the Velcro is secured. She will then sew and cover the spandex onto the padding, restitch velrcro.

Really excited to make this look look again. More pix to come. She is charging me $50 to do this, along with the $13 and change I paid for the 2 yards of fabric.

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

Interested to see how this turns out... 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this