Not your typical inside the park home run

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2435 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

20 minutes ago, stkjock said:

just saw that on ESPN.... gotta wonder the SH*# that catcher took from his team that night

Hopefully he was around to take the SH*# and not on a bus to wherever the Rome Braves (SAL) were playing.

On an umpiring note, would this have better taken at 1BLE? He has to look through the catcher to see a tag attempt. I've had to deal with similar calls in the past where catcher is over the plate like this and I'm caught behind the catcher. 

6 hours ago, Gfoley4 said:

On an umpiring note, would this have better taken at 1BLE?

No. There is no longer any play at the plate where we should start from 1BLX.

Start at 3BLX and rotate into fair as F2 turns. Because F2 didn't turn here, PU didn't rotate, which is all standard.

But when the ball arrives early and F2 is straddling the plate, leaving the runner space to slide through, PU should rotate anyway to get an angle on the tag. He guessed right on this play.

• Like 1

Well, Mr. noumpere, it turns out the play in question is pretty much the “typical” inside-the-park home run if you accept this description found in Wikipedia (I’ve bolded the relevant part):

“In the early days of Major League Baseball, with outfields more spacious and less uniform from ballpark to ballpark, inside-the-park home runs were common. However, in the modern era, with outfields less spacious, the feat has become increasingly rare, happening only a handful of times each season. Today an inside-the-park home run is typically accomplished by a fast baserunner hitting the ball in such a way that the ball bounces far away from the opposing team's fielders. In many such cases (such as Alcides Escobar's inside-the-park homer in the 2015 World Series), the outfielder misjudges the ball or otherwise plays it badly, but not so badly that an error is charged.