MLB Ejection 098 - Lance Barrett (1; Tim Beckham)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2471 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Lance Barrett ejected Rays 2B Tim Beckham (strike three call) in the top of the 4th inning of the Rays-Athletics game. With one out and none on, Beckham took a 0-2 slider from A's pitcher Daniel Gossett for a called third strike. Replays indicate the pitch was located over the heart of...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Good call; screw the displayed zone. 

I try very hard to call that strike all day long.  (It's just one of several reasons I get so many greeting cards from pitchers during the holidays.)  In my games, I seldom, if ever, see a Maddux and a Jenkins on the hill, although I've worked several with Billingsley back in the day.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cav said:

Good call; screw the displayed zone. 

I try very hard to call that strike all day long.  (It's just one of several reasons I get so many greeting cards from pitchers during the holidays.)  In my games, I seldom, if ever, see a Maddux and a Jenkins on the hill, although I've worked several with Billingsley back in the day.

Yes sir .... all - day - long ....  especially in high school..... ring 'em up!

That box is giving a dot at one point in time....probably when the ball nears the front of the plate.. By the time that pitch crosses the rear of the plate, I'd bet it fell enough to even be in that 'K zone", which, I agree didn't seem to be calibrated perfectly.  

I initially thought that pitch looked good from the side as it got the belt when it crossed the batter. (I'm going to get it at every level I call.)

When I slomoed it, I noticed Beckham was at the very back of the box so thought it plausible that over the plate it was slightly high. I never trust the box on the screen. Pfx on the other hand...good to see that Gil actively works at getting it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cav said:

Who wants to talk about the 130' EJ?

Eh, I don't see a lot to talk about. Beckham and Barrett were thoroughly engaged just before. It's not as if something was said from a distance that should have been ignored.

23 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

been done before, by an umpire who worked a special event every year from 1997-2010 except 2007

http://m.mlb.com/video/v6014957/flaphi-victorino-is-ejected-from-the-game

I was thinking of another....Didn't Tulowitzki get tossed in a playoff game for constant whining about a punchout even after taking the field?

6 hours ago, Richvee said:

I was thinking of another....Didn't Tulowitzki get tossed in a playoff game for constant whining about a punchout even after taking the field?

This one?

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/94787060/v524584583/alcs-gm3-tulowitzki-discusses-ejection-in-the-8th/?query=Tulowitzki+Ejection