Captcha

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2445 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

8 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

Haha, I was wondering if I was the only person with this issue. Safari seems to work better than Chrome for me

I was starting to think something was up with my laptop. I had to go back and make sure some of my posts got through yesterday. 

This is downright oppressive, @Umpire in Chief, especially when you're on a public hotspot or AP which changes your IP# every few minutes...

... which is what being a wandering Road Umpire is all about.

I mean, the least you/we could do is have it query us with "I'm not a robot" and then show us a photo of a pitch, and ask, "Is this a strike?". At least make it relevant! If I have to identify apartment buildings one more time...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

This is downright oppressive, @Umpire in Chief, especially when you're on a public hotspot or AP which changes your IP# every few minutes...

I mean, the least you/we could do is have it query us with "I'm not a robot" and then show us a photo of a pitch, and ask, "Is this a strike?". At least make it relevant! If I have to identify apartment buildings one more time...

Street signs and buses for me, mostly. I'm getting pretty good at it.

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

The "is this a strike" barrier should include various age groups to ensure we're all calling an age appropriate zone. 

• Like 1

I stay logged in. I use Apple products (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone), which I know on trusted WiFi spots retain their IPs. On public hotspots, the IP can be issued and reissued at an arbitrary rate, thus triggering a Captcha query.

It happens when I hit the "Unread Content" button. Especially maddening, though, is it is also triggered when I post a message, and I have a few anxious moments when I think my post content is gone; because you know how wordy my postings are. ;)

15 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Another question...

When is it that you are getting this; at login, when posting, other?

When posting.  Sometimes, the reply gets lost (which doesn't bother me, but I know how much others look forward to my insights! ;) )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Would it be accurate to say it only happens when you are signed on to a public wifi?

Is anybody getting it from a home/ work network?

I'm getting it from home, but not when I'm working on my cellular wifi.

It only happens when I'm posting or trying to link to a video.

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

I stay logged in. I use Apple products (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone), which I know on trusted WiFi spots retain their IPs. On public hotspots, the IP can be issued and reissued at an arbitrary rate, thus triggering a Captcha query.

It happens when I hit the "Unread Content" button. Especially maddening, though, is it is also triggered when I post a message, and I have a few anxious moments when I think my post content is gone; because you know how wordy my postings are. ;)

I'm having the same experience as Max. I was staying with family and using their wifi, getting it on my laptop on the unread content tab or when I would submit a post. Not an Apple laptop. 

I'm at a hotel today so I'll see how that wifi works. 

Happening at home - I'm blocked at work.

It happens to me when I move around - not this login so far, but nearly every time I changed a page.  Kept claiming that suspicious activity was happening from my IP.  Might be, but not from me.