Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Scott Miller

Pickle at home with third base occupied

Question

Pickle between third and home and second runner occupies third base, the first runner advances towards third while it is occupied is it still a force play?

4 answers to this question

Per message: R3 had scored.  R2 was in a rundown between 3B and HP.  R1 advanced to 3B.

R2 and R1 both ended up on 3B, then R2 advanced to HP and scored. Should there be an automatic out for both runners on 3B

SO the answer is:  There is no force because R3 scored and made room for everyone else. There is no automatic out for two runners touching the same base at the same time.

IF two runners are on the same base you have to tag the right one to get an out.  So tag both. If the lead runner was forced (he wasn't in the OP) then he is out. If the lead runner was not forced the trail runner is out.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
24 minutes ago, Guest Scott Miller said:

Pickle between third and home and second runner occupies third base, the first runner advances towards third while it is occupied is it still a force play?

Is what a force play? Where are any other runners?

I'm going to guess that the situation is really something like: Bases loaded.  Ground ball in the infield.  An infielder throws toward home  and rather than stepping on the plate (it's a young kid's game) F2 starts to run R3 back toward third.  In the meantime, R2 has advanced to and is standing on third. Can R2 be forced at third?  Can R3 be forced at third?  Can R3 be forced at home?"

Assuming that's close to being correct, the answers are No (once a runner has acquired an advance base, he cannot be forced), No (a runner can only be forced to an advance base; not to a return base) and Yes (since R3 was forced to leave third he is still forced at the plate).

7 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Per message: R3 had scored.  R2 was in a rundown between 3B and HP.  R1 advanced to 3B.

R2 and R1 both ended up on 3B, then R2 advanced to HP and scored. Should there be an automatic out for both runners on 3

Well then.  My guess was way off -- and I also got a PM on this, but I had trouble deciphering it, too.

I agree with your ruling on the revised /expanded explanation.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0