Coach Showing Off

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2445 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

No outs. R2 — BU Has long fly ball to the LC GAP. I'm watching R2 round 3rd and score. BU is watching throw in and B-R sliding into 2B.

Who really expects PU or BU to watch B-R touch 1B?  Anyone other than a coach who's trying to make the Crew look bad as he's frustrated with his F1?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

The plate umpire has the entire field in front of him. Unless R2 and B/R touch 3rd and 1st at the same time, the plate umpire can get both touches.

I agree with this -- and even if it's at "the same time" you can see that BR did not cut the corner before (and after, I guess) seeing that R2 actually touched third -- that will at least meet the spirit of the rule.

26 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

The plate umpire has the entire field in front of him. Unless R2 and B/R touch 3rd and 1st at the same time, the plate umpire can get both touches.

is this something that is taught in clinics and schools?

I ask becuase at the lower levels that I've experienced it seems that everyone's eyes follow the ball and not the BR.

6 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I ask becuase at the lower levels that I've experienced it seems that everyone's eyes follow the ball and not the BR.

Maybe, but for me it was learned through experience.  When I first started umpiring, I fell for the old "nothing can happen without the ball" adage that traps many of us.  As I grew more comfortable on the field (and also as I got caught missing things), I learned the rhythm of when to quickly shift my eyes to see a touch and when to peek ahead at the "lower priority" runner to make sure he's not cutting a corner by ten feet.  I learned how to recognize a fielder that was about to camp the inside corner of a bag to obstruct a runner.

Mostly, I made mistakes, I hung around at the park after my games to watch other guys work and ask questoins, and I read stuff on this site about other people's mistakes, and I learned what I could from all kinds of goofs

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

There's a reason the umpires are at the lower levels.  And, ,while it is taught, there is much more to teach a newer umpire.

Evans tells a story:  He met up with some friends after a game.  The friends exclaimed, "Wow what a game! Did you see that great catch attempt!"  Evans replied, "No.  Did you see the batter touch first!?"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

There's a reason the umpires are at the lower levels.  And, ,while it is taught, there is much more to teach a newer umpire.

Evans tells a story:  He met up with some friends after a game.  The friends exclaimed, "Wow what a game! Did you see that great catch attempt!"  Evans replied, "No.  Did you see the batter touch first!?"

understood, I realize at 9-12U LL games the umps are less trained and less experienced, I don't fault them for that, my question was purely educational.

Heck, I had a game two years back, younger guy, 22-24 I'd guess, working solo, maybe our game was his 2nd or 3rd at best.

3 hours ago, stkjock said:

We talk about it at the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, September 7-10 in Springfield, Missouri where there are only a few spots available. (Was that too shameless of a plug?)

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

We talk about it at the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, September 7-10 in Springfield, Missouri where there are only a few spots available. (Was that too shameless of a plug?)

Thx and you're welcome :D

On 7/14/2017 at 6:55 AM, JHSump said:

BU should glance at BR as BR touches 1B.

That doesn't seem logical unless perhaps this ball to the gap is a line drive that has no chance of being caught or going over the fence; if I'm BU I'm not taking my eye off of a possible diving catch in the outfield to watch a touch of a base.  I agree that the PU can try to watch both touches but there are certainly times in 2 man where you're not going to be able to see everything.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zoops said:

That doesn't seem logical unless perhaps this ball to the gap is a line drive that has no chance of being caught or going over the fence; if I'm BU I'm not taking my eye off of a possible diving catch in the outfield to watch a touch of a base.  I agree that the PU can try to watch both touches but there are certainly times in 2 man where you're not going to be able to see everything.  

Pause,read, and react.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UMP45 said:

Pause,read, and react.

Yep.  Along with 'Look at the ball, glance at the runner.'  This would include both umpires.   If there are less than two, HPU should be reading R2's actions.  If he's tagging up, what else is there for him to do?  Since BU would have catch/no-catch responsibility, HPU can / should take a glance to B/R to watch the touch at first.   BU's primary responsibility is catch/no-catch, but if he has taken care of P/R/R, then even he could get a glance to 1B for the touch, and there shouldn't be a problem with HPU being the backup for the touch in this situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoops said:

Glance for BR touching first when you can. If he's approaching first just as the fielder is laying out for a catch, you obviously have to watch the ball. But once the catch/no catch responsibility has been lifted, glance for the BR. Maybe he's just touching first, maybe he's 20 feet past first base. Either way, you can confidently and truthfully tell the coach that you looked for the BR touching 1B. 

On 7/14/2017 at 9:43 AM, MidAmUmp said:

Wait... there was a plug there? What for? I was busy watching runners touch the bags. :wave: