Register or Sign In to remove these ads
VolUmp

Coach Showing Off

16 posts in this topic

No outs. R2 — BU Has long fly ball to the LC GAP. I'm watching R2 round 3rd and score. BU is watching throw in and B-R sliding into 2B.

Who really expects PU or BU to watch B-R touch 1B?  Anyone other than a coach who's trying to make the Crew look bad as he's frustrated with his F1?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

BU should glance at BR as BR touches 1B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plate umpire has the entire field in front of him. Unless R2 and B/R touch 3rd and 1st at the same time, the plate umpire can get both touches.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

The plate umpire has the entire field in front of him. Unless R2 and B/R touch 3rd and 1st at the same time, the plate umpire can get both touches.

I agree with this -- and even if it's at "the same time" you can see that BR did not cut the corner before (and after, I guess) seeing that R2 actually touched third -- that will at least meet the spirit of the rule.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

The plate umpire has the entire field in front of him. Unless R2 and B/R touch 3rd and 1st at the same time, the plate umpire can get both touches.

is this something that is taught in clinics and schools?

I ask becuase at the lower levels that I've experienced it seems that everyone's eyes follow the ball and not the BR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stkjock said:

is this something that is taught in clinics and schools?

I ask becuase at the lower levels that I've experienced it seems that everyone's eyes follow the ball and not the BR.

Maybe, but for me it was learned through experience.  When I first started umpiring, I fell for the old "nothing can happen without the ball" adage that traps many of us.  As I grew more comfortable on the field (and also as I got caught missing things), I learned the rhythm of when to quickly shift my eyes to see a touch and when to peek ahead at the "lower priority" runner to make sure he's not cutting a corner by ten feet.  I learned how to recognize a fielder that was about to camp the inside corner of a bag to obstruct a runner.

Mostly, I made mistakes, I hung around at the park after my games to watch other guys work and ask questoins, and I read stuff on this site about other people's mistakes, and I learned what I could from all kinds of goofs

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stkjock said:

is this something that is taught in clinics and schools?

I ask becuase at the lower levels that I've experienced it seems that everyone's eyes follow the ball and not the BR.

There's a reason the umpires are at the lower levels.  And, ,while it is taught, there is much more to teach a newer umpire.

Evans tells a story:  He met up with some friends after a game.  The friends exclaimed, "Wow what a game! Did you see that great catch attempt!"  Evans replied, "No.  Did you see the batter touch first!?"

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, noumpere said:

There's a reason the umpires are at the lower levels.  And, ,while it is taught, there is much more to teach a newer umpire.

Evans tells a story:  He met up with some friends after a game.  The friends exclaimed, "Wow what a game! Did you see that great catch attempt!"  Evans replied, "No.  Did you see the batter touch first!?"

understood, I realize at 9-12U LL games the umps are less trained and less experienced, I don't fault them for that, my question was purely educational.

 

Heck, I had a game two years back, younger guy, 22-24 I'd guess, working solo, maybe our game was his 2nd or 3rd at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stkjock said:

is this something that is taught in clinics and schools?

I ask becuase at the lower levels that I've experienced it seems that everyone's eyes follow the ball and not the BR.

We talk about it at the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, September 7-10 in Springfield, Missouri where there are only a few spots available. (Was that too shameless of a plug?)

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

We talk about it at the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, September 7-10 in Springfield, Missouri where there are only a few spots available. (Was that too shameless of a plug?)

Thx and you're welcome :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 6:55 AM, JHSump said:

BU should glance at BR as BR touches 1B.

That doesn't seem logical unless perhaps this ball to the gap is a line drive that has no chance of being caught or going over the fence; if I'm BU I'm not taking my eye off of a possible diving catch in the outfield to watch a touch of a base.  I agree that the PU can try to watch both touches but there are certainly times in 2 man where you're not going to be able to see everything.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zoops said:

That doesn't seem logical unless perhaps this ball to the gap is a line drive that has no chance of being caught or going over the fence; if I'm BU I'm not taking my eye off of a possible diving catch in the outfield to watch a touch of a base.  I agree that the PU can try to watch both touches but there are certainly times in 2 man where you're not going to be able to see everything.  

Pause,read, and react.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UMP45 said:

Pause,read, and react.

Yep.  Along with 'Look at the ball, glance at the runner.'  This would include both umpires.   If there are less than two, HPU should be reading R2's actions.  If he's tagging up, what else is there for him to do?  Since BU would have catch/no-catch responsibility, HPU can / should take a glance to B/R to watch the touch at first.   BU's primary responsibility is catch/no-catch, but if he has taken care of P/R/R, then even he could get a glance to 1B for the touch, and there shouldn't be a problem with HPU being the backup for the touch in this situation. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of my pregame as PU: "You have all touches and tags at 2B and 1B and the BR touch at 3B. I'll back you up at 1B when I can."

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zoops said:

That doesn't seem logical unless perhaps this ball to the gap is a line drive that has no chance of being caught or going over the fence; if I'm BU I'm not taking my eye off of a possible diving catch in the outfield to watch a touch of a base.  I agree that the PU can try to watch both touches but there are certainly times in 2 man where you're not going to be able to see everything.  

Glance for BR touching first when you can. If he's approaching first just as the fielder is laying out for a catch, you obviously have to watch the ball. But once the catch/no catch responsibility has been lifted, glance for the BR. Maybe he's just touching first, maybe he's 20 feet past first base. Either way, you can confidently and truthfully tell the coach that you looked for the BR touching 1B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 9:43 AM, MidAmUmp said:

We talk about it at the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, September 7-10 in Springfield, Missouri where there are only a few spots available. (Was that too shameless of a plug?)

Wait... there was a plug there? What for? I was busy watching runners touch the bags. :wave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now