More Ontarian Hilarity

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2443 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So yesterday it was TEAM ONTARIO.  Today it was the Ontario Expos.

18u Wood Bat World Championship.

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue."  I told him if he wishes to exit early, just keep defining the zone, and he knocked it off. 

5th inning, Expos on defense, down 4-1, R1 & R2 double steal. Batter steps backwards and falls to the ground realizing his mistake. Runner's safe. No INT called as the throwing lane was never blocked.

Batter stands up and says, "Sorry catch, I tried to get outta the way."

Expos' catcher says, "Stay in the box like you're supposed to ... don't F--- with me."

I called time, told the batter that "While our catcher is extremely rude and disrespectful, he is technically correct — the best thing you can do in that situation is hold your position or go straight down."

I got nothing but "Yes Sirs" from the batter and eye rolls from the catcher.  Expos Coach then pulled his catcher from the game without explanation.  

Final 4-1

Game 2, time had already expired in the bottom of the 5th with Expos down 7-5. Expos have R2, 2 outs, batter has 2-2 count. Batter swings at a pitch up & in, pitch hits his hand, he drops the bat and sprints to 1B as I call,

"TIME!  Strike 3. Batter's out. Ball Game."

(Yes, we are instructed to say that here in tournament play.)

So ... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE BETWEEN THE COACHES, PLAYERS, and PARENTS/FANS.

One coach semi-politely asks, " Did that hit his hand or the bat?"

I said, "His hand. Judging by his sprint to 1B, I think that's confirmed."

I gathered my gear and my cooler as my partner started to walk in to meet me, and I looked up and was surrounded by the other two coaches and about four or five of the players pleading their case that it was a foul ball.

To the HC I stated, "The batter swung and was hit in the hand. That's a dead ball strike. It's also strike 3. The game's over."

(And then in happened .......................... )

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?  IF IT HITS HIS HAND, THAT'S A FOUL BALL!!!!"

I asked, "Coach, are you serious? Please tell me you didn't just indirectly say that the hand is part of the bat."

"WHEN HE'S SWINGING, IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I said, "Coach, all y'all need to learn the rule, eh?"

Then player #6 shouted, "Why don't you learn to call balls and strikes before you talk about rules!  You don't even know how to do your job behind the plate!"

"Coach, #6 is ejected. He sits next game."

I'm out.  I'm moving to another 18u Tournament that starts tomorrow.  After that, I'm going to start a petition to build a wall ... only to keep out Ontarian baseball coaches and players ..... and make them pay for it .......

UPDATE: I have now been told by guys still calling that tourney with the Ontarian contingent of 5 teams that the TD wants the umpires to respect their culture, that they may have a different level of "tolerance" where they come from, that it's not our job to change their culture overnight, and we have to remember they are our "guests."

TRANSLATION:  The TD is a WHORE.  He's a $1,250-per-team whore.  (Yeah ... I said it ... )

• Like 3

14 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue."  I told him if he wishes to exit early, just keep defining the zone, and he knocked it off. 

Not happening.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue.

"Ball, Outside.  Outside, Ball.  How's that?" (the ",asshole" after the last question is implied)

• Like 6

and the coaches are probably at the bar talking about all the different things they got away with/or did not get away, with over here that is different than what they do and do not get away with in Canada (not necessarily saying one of the 13 bad words along with the word you), both verbally and gesticulations or delaying the game way too long, always asking for help/conference or showing the umpires up, with/without being ejected.

If any one here is a long time member  of the ABUA board.  They might remember some very crazy post  by a member named ExCop .  He was from Toronto and the post were sometimes   just insane .  Lots of ejections and fights .  

On July 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM, VolUmp said:

So yesterday it was TEAM ONTARIO.  Today it was the Ontario Expos.

18u Wood Bat World Championship.

5th inning, Expos on defense, down 4-1, R1 & R2 double steal. Batter steps backwards and falls to the ground realizing his mistake. Runner's safe. No INT called as the throwing lane was never blocked.

Batter stands up and says, "Sorry catch, I tried to get outta the way."

Expos' catcher says, "Stay in the box like you're supposed to ... don't F--- with me."

I called time, told the batter that "While our catcher is extremely rude and disrespectful, he is technically correct — the best thing you can do in that situation is hold your position or go straight down."

I got nothing but "Yes Sirs" from the batter and eye rolls from the catcher.  Expos Coach then pulled his catcher from the game without explanation.  

Final 4-1

Game 2, time had already expired in the bottom of the 5th with Expos down 7-5. Expos have R2, 2 outs, batter has 2-2 count. Batter swings at a pitch up & in, pitch hits his hand, he drops the bat and sprints to 1B as I call,

"TIME!  Strike 3. Batter's out. Ball Game."

(Yes, we are instructed to say that here in tournament play.)

So ... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE BETWEEN THE COACHES, PLAYERS, and PARENTS/FANS.

One coach semi-politely asks, " Did that hit his hand or the bat?"

I said, "His hand. Judging by his sprint to 1B, I think that's confirmed."

I gathered my gear and my cooler as my partner started to walk in to meet me, and I looked up and was surrounded by the other two coaches and about four or five of the players pleading their case that it was a foul ball.

To the HC I stated, "The batter swung and was hit in the hand. That's a dead ball strike. It's also strike 3. The game's over."

(And then in happened .......................... )

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?  IF IT HITS HIS HAND, THAT'S A FOUL BALL!!!!"

I asked, "Coach, are you serious? Please tell me you didn't just indirectly say that the hand is part of the bat."

"WHEN HE'S SWINGING, IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I said, "Coach, all y'all need to learn the rule, eh?"

Then player #6 shouted, "Why don't you learn to call balls and strikes before you talk about rules!  You don't even know how to do your job behind the plate!"

"Coach, #6 is ejected. He sits next game."

I'm out.  I'm moving to another 18u Tournament that starts tomorrow.  After that, I'm going to start a petition to build a wall ... only to keep out Ontarian baseball coaches and players ..... and make them pay for it .......

UPDATE: I have now been told by guys still calling that tourney with the Ontarian contingent of 5 teams that the TD wants the umpires to respect their culture, that they may have a different level of "tolerance" where they come from, that it's not our job to change their culture overnight, and we have to remember they are our "guests."

TRANSLATION:  The TD is a WHORE.  He's a $1,250-per-team whore.  (Yeah ... I said it ... )

Your TD is full of crap. Yes we have a different culture, but we still play by the same rule book. There is no difference in tolerance for jackasses on the field. 

In fact in my province, we have zero tolerance in our major youth program. The coaches can only come out to make changes, ask about rule interpretation or to protest a game. Our IAWE levels are pretty thin. 

Problem is that going to the US for a tourney in Canada is an act of prestige. Coaches, players and parents look at the sojourn to the lower 48 as a status thing that they brag about back home. Our team/organization is better than yours because we played in a tourney in the US. 

This patronizing/condescending BS is very un-Canadian. 

1 hour ago, BCBrad said:

Your TD is full of crap. Yes we have a different culture, but we still play by the same rule book. There is no difference in tolerance for jackasses on the field. 

In fact in my province, we have zero tolerance in our major youth program. The coaches can only come out to make changes, ask about rule interpretation or to protest a game. Our IAWE levels are pretty thin. 

Problem is that going to the US for a tourney in Canada is an act of prestige. Coaches, players and parents look at the sojourn to the lower 48 as a status thing that they brag about back home. Our team/organization is better than yours because we played in a tourney in the US. 

This patronizing/condescending BS is very un-Canadian. 

But you and I both know that the universe starts at Scarborough and ends at Mississauga. :)

• Like 1

So if a team from japan comes to play and in japan if you argue with the ump it is ok to push them does the TD expect you to get assaulted? If the umps would ban together and walk this TD would get the clue that no one is treated different. It really makes me mad that a TD would do that.

3 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Brad,

Would you have ejected for this?

Do you object to the way I handled it?

In a younger age group, the f-bomb may be enough for ejection. I probably would have talked directly to F2 about the unsportsmanlike comment; I would have kept Bats out of it unless they were jarring back and forth. I would warn F2 for insulting opposing team as this is unacceptable and any other verbal or physical incident will lead to watching the Blue Jays lose on his cell. 

Bottom line is this. You want the behaviour to stop as it is not tolerated. If your comment got the job done, to cease the BS from F2, then I'm good with that. Sometimes, we have to deal with situations our own way. 

On 7/13/2017 at 7:15 PM, VolUmp said:

Under that logic, it must also be our culture to throw beer cans at outfielders, so the Orioles and MLB should not have been upset about it.

This is PC gone wild...

On 7/18/2017 at 8:50 AM, beerguy55 said:

This is PC gone wild...

Nah, this is a TD anxious about the check – coming from 5 teams must be pretty hefty – being endorsed, dated, and cashed. He's also considering future visits by these same 5 teams next year, or by sibling teams for upcoming tournaments.

Heck, those two games in the OP may have set US / Canada -relations back by 20 years, who knows?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 11:50 AM, beerguy55 said:

Under that logic, it must also be our culture to throw beer cans at outfielders, so the Orioles and MLB should not have been upset about it.

This is PC gone wild...

I thought it was, when in Rome do as the Romans do. They know our culture, so they know the leash is not as long so abide by it or stay home.

But, this would be a great "incentive" for US coaches to want to take their teams to Canada where the leash is longer.

Just like the incentive for HS and College coaches and players to make MLB, so they can be a little less gentlemanly as the amateur player game makes them be.

And it sounds like all the money is in being a TD and an assignor now days, and the umpires are just the down troden lowly paid servants.

Gentlemen,

I started this post and I'd like to ask to end it.

I was never trying to put the entire nation of Canada into one stereotype, but five 18u elite teams, all from the same general region of Ontario, that seem to have players that rule over their coaches, spew profanity like it's an accepted part of the game, play baseball with kind of a hockey mentality, ... it just seemed to be a problem to which I personally would have put a stop, and the Pu$$y TD wouldn't, because his ONLY goal is the branch out so he can justify calling his event the Wood Bat World Championship (x 6 ... he has one for 13u through 18u).

As I brazenly stated, he's a whore.

I changed to a better tournament after two days of it, but I later found out I wouldn't have been assigned in the Wood Bat World Championship anyway.  The TD and my Assignor talked before I asked to be taken off. 

My Assignor is also in the hot seat, because he doesn't wanna lose the business of all these tourneys for his umpires — and I can appreciate that. He just doesn't have the backbone to stand up to the TD and say, "I have the pencil, and you don't get to choose or deny any of my umpires."

We spoke several days later, and had to agree to disagree. He backed everything I did except that after the game-ending dead ball strike, he said I should have walked off the field. He thinks I got cocky trying to teach these coaches the rule.

Well, this wasn't a judgment call that was questioned, this was a GAME-ENDING RULE APPLICATION call ... one that I was REALLY wishing they would protest ... ($200) ... where I was surrounded by 3 coaches and 6 or 7 players trying to say the game wasn't over. I'm not intimidated by ANYONE. I felt the best thing to do, quite frankly, was make the three adult coaches look ignorant in front of the boys, and then leave the field. But by doing so, we had the kid mouth off and had an ejection. I suspect the TD "revoked" that EJ. I never asked.

The fault of all this HAS to lie with the US TD. There is no debate. He wants umpires who can get in and get out, and tolerate the typical abuse, and protect his bank account.

'Nuff Said.  The tournament was ruined by rain anyway and it was much ado about nothing.

13 hours ago, VolUmp said:

My Assignor is also in the hot seat, because he doesn't wanna lose the business of all these tourneys for his umpires — and I can appreciate that. He just doesn't have the backbone to stand up to the TD and say, "I have the pencil, and you don't get to choose or deny any of my umpires."

This is the biggest problem a lot of TD's face and I understand. They need teams to come play to make money and if they don't kiss their a$$ they get baby coaches who cry and take their teams away. As a UIC I am lucky that my GM backs me and the umpires 100%. If the 3 P's are crossed we toss otherwise we tolerate. Umpires need to unite and start walking off the job as soon as one of our umps are not backed. Hard to have a tournament if you don't have umps

12 hours ago, Kckumpire said:

This is the biggest problem a lot of TD's face and I understand. They need teams to come play to make money and if they don't kiss their a$$ they get baby coaches who cry and take their teams away. As a UIC I am lucky that my GM backs me and the umpires 100%. If the 3 P's are crossed we toss otherwise we tolerate. Umpires need to unite and start walking off the job as soon as one of our umps are not backed. Hard to have a tournament if you don't have umps

This needs to be a symbiotic relationship, and like all relationships sometimes it needs compromise.   Tournaments need umps.  They also need teams.  No teams, no money, can't pay umps.   Does the tournament need umps more than the umps need the tournament?  Perhaps.   Maybe umps get assigned somewhere else, maybe not.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:46 AM, VolUmp said:

Well, this wasn't a judgment call that was questioned, this was a GAME-ENDING RULE APPLICATION call ... one that I was REALLY wishing they would protest ... ($200) ... where I was surrounded by 3 coaches and 6 or 7 players trying to say the game wasn't over. I'm not intimidated by ANYONE. I felt the best thing to do, quite frankly, was make the three adult coaches look ignorant in front of the boys, and then leave the field. But by doing so, we had the kid mouth off and had an ejection. I suspect the TD "revoked" that EJ. I never asked.

The fault of all this HAS to lie with the US TD. There is no debate. He wants umpires who can get in and get out, and tolerate the typical abuse, and protect his bank account.

No, you have to accept some culpability here too.  The simple response to the coach is "I've made the ruling, if you think I'm wrong file a protest and it will be resolved right away" and walk away.  Attempting to show up the coaches, especially attempting to undermine them in front of their players, will never end well.  Do you like it when a coach tries to show you up, or publicly undermine you?  And adding "eh" to your snark was ignorant.  You did that for no other reason but to get a reaction.  Would it be appropriate for a Canadian ump to make fun of the way an American coach talked, whether it's a southern drawl or an "all y'all"?  No matter how awful that coach is acting?

You can argue "they started it" if you want.  That would be just as childish as your response.  You are supposed to be the bigger/better man.  Take the high road.  "If you think I'm wrong, file a protest".  The TD director was right in that regard - get in get out.  You let your ego get in the way and you decided to bait them.   People who truly aren't intimidated walk away. 

You let the behavior of a different team spill over to your perception of this team.  Then you let a catcher dropping an F bomb at another player, not you, bother you further.

The TD comment about culture is bullSH*#, no question.  Bad behavior is bad behavior.  But YOU are the one who tried to douse a fire with gasoline.

You may as well have pulled your Johnson out and asked for a ruler.

• Like 1