Register or Sign In to remove these ads
VolUmp

More Ontarian Hilarity

18 posts in this topic

So yesterday it was TEAM ONTARIO.  Today it was the Ontario Expos.

18u Wood Bat World Championship.

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue."  I told him if he wishes to exit early, just keep defining the zone, and he knocked it off. 

5th inning, Expos on defense, down 4-1, R1 & R2 double steal. Batter steps backwards and falls to the ground realizing his mistake. Runner's safe. No INT called as the throwing lane was never blocked.

Batter stands up and says, "Sorry catch, I tried to get outta the way."

Expos' catcher says, "Stay in the box like you're supposed to ... don't F--- with me."

I called time, told the batter that "While our catcher is extremely rude and disrespectful, he is technically correct — the best thing you can do in that situation is hold your position or go straight down."

I got nothing but "Yes Sirs" from the batter and eye rolls from the catcher.  Expos Coach then pulled his catcher from the game without explanation.  

Final 4-1

Game 2, time had already expired in the bottom of the 5th with Expos down 7-5. Expos have R2, 2 outs, batter has 2-2 count. Batter swings at a pitch up & in, pitch hits his hand, he drops the bat and sprints to 1B as I call,

"TIME!  Strike 3. Batter's out. Ball Game."

(Yes, we are instructed to say that here in tournament play.)

So ... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE BETWEEN THE COACHES, PLAYERS, and PARENTS/FANS.

One coach semi-politely asks, " Did that hit his hand or the bat?"

I said, "His hand. Judging by his sprint to 1B, I think that's confirmed."

I gathered my gear and my cooler as my partner started to walk in to meet me, and I looked up and was surrounded by the other two coaches and about four or five of the players pleading their case that it was a foul ball.

To the HC I stated, "The batter swung and was hit in the hand. That's a dead ball strike. It's also strike 3. The game's over."

(And then in happened .......................... )

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?  IF IT HITS HIS HAND, THAT'S A FOUL BALL!!!!"

I asked, "Coach, are you serious? Please tell me you didn't just indirectly say that the hand is part of the bat."

"WHEN HE'S SWINGING, IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I said, "Coach, all y'all need to learn the rule, eh?"

Then player #6 shouted, "Why don't you learn to call balls and strikes before you talk about rules!  You don't even know how to do your job behind the plate!"

"Coach, #6 is ejected. He sits next game."

I'm out.  I'm moving to another 18u Tournament that starts tomorrow.  After that, I'm going to start a petition to build a wall ... only to keep out Ontarian baseball coaches and players ..... and make them pay for it .......

 

UPDATE: I have now been told by guys still calling that tourney with the Ontarian contingent of 5 teams that the TD wants the umpires to respect their culture, that they may have a different level of "tolerance" where they come from, that it's not our job to change their culture overnight, and we have to remember they are our "guests."

TRANSLATION:  The TD is a WHORE.  He's a $1,250-per-team whore.  (Yeah ... I said it ... )

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Volump,

I have to admit up front, some of your comment rub me the wrong way. 

This story, however  is very entertaining!

No disrespect meant toward any of our Canadian viewers!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VolUmp said:

 

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue."  I told him if he wishes to exit early, just keep defining the zone, and he knocked it off. 

 

Not happening.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue.

"Ball, Outside.  Outside, Ball.  How's that?" (the ",asshole" after the last question is implied)

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the coaches are probably at the bar talking about all the different things they got away with/or did not get away, with over here that is different than what they do and do not get away with in Canada (not necessarily saying one of the 13 bad words along with the word you), both verbally and gesticulations or delaying the game way too long, always asking for help/conference or showing the umpires up, with/without being ejected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any one here is a long time member  of the ABUA board.  They might remember some very crazy post  by a member named ExCop .  He was from Toronto and the post were sometimes   just insane .  Lots of ejections and fights .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 13, 2017 at 6:15 PM, VolUmp said:

So yesterday it was TEAM ONTARIO.  Today it was the Ontario Expos.

18u Wood Bat World Championship.

Game 1, mostly uneventful with the exception of the Expos' catcher telling me three times to "call it both ways, Blue."  I told him if he wishes to exit early, just keep defining the zone, and he knocked it off. 

5th inning, Expos on defense, down 4-1, R1 & R2 double steal. Batter steps backwards and falls to the ground realizing his mistake. Runner's safe. No INT called as the throwing lane was never blocked.

Batter stands up and says, "Sorry catch, I tried to get outta the way."

Expos' catcher says, "Stay in the box like you're supposed to ... don't F--- with me."

I called time, told the batter that "While our catcher is extremely rude and disrespectful, he is technically correct — the best thing you can do in that situation is hold your position or go straight down."

I got nothing but "Yes Sirs" from the batter and eye rolls from the catcher.  Expos Coach then pulled his catcher from the game without explanation.  

Final 4-1

Game 2, time had already expired in the bottom of the 5th with Expos down 7-5. Expos have R2, 2 outs, batter has 2-2 count. Batter swings at a pitch up & in, pitch hits his hand, he drops the bat and sprints to 1B as I call,

"TIME!  Strike 3. Batter's out. Ball Game."

(Yes, we are instructed to say that here in tournament play.)

So ... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE BETWEEN THE COACHES, PLAYERS, and PARENTS/FANS.

One coach semi-politely asks, " Did that hit his hand or the bat?"

I said, "His hand. Judging by his sprint to 1B, I think that's confirmed."

I gathered my gear and my cooler as my partner started to walk in to meet me, and I looked up and was surrounded by the other two coaches and about four or five of the players pleading their case that it was a foul ball.

To the HC I stated, "The batter swung and was hit in the hand. That's a dead ball strike. It's also strike 3. The game's over."

(And then in happened .......................... )

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?  IF IT HITS HIS HAND, THAT'S A FOUL BALL!!!!"

I asked, "Coach, are you serious? Please tell me you didn't just indirectly say that the hand is part of the bat."

"WHEN HE'S SWINGING, IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I said, "Coach, all y'all need to learn the rule, eh?"

Then player #6 shouted, "Why don't you learn to call balls and strikes before you talk about rules!  You don't even know how to do your job behind the plate!"

"Coach, #6 is ejected. He sits next game."

I'm out.  I'm moving to another 18u Tournament that starts tomorrow.  After that, I'm going to start a petition to build a wall ... only to keep out Ontarian baseball coaches and players ..... and make them pay for it .......

 

UPDATE: I have now been told by guys still calling that tourney with the Ontarian contingent of 5 teams that the TD wants the umpires to respect their culture, that they may have a different level of "tolerance" where they come from, that it's not our job to change their culture overnight, and we have to remember they are our "guests."

TRANSLATION:  The TD is a WHORE.  He's a $1,250-per-team whore.  (Yeah ... I said it ... )

Your TD is full of crap. Yes we have a different culture, but we still play by the same rule book. There is no difference in tolerance for jackasses on the field. 

In fact in my province, we have zero tolerance in our major youth program. The coaches can only come out to make changes, ask about rule interpretation or to protest a game. Our IAWE levels are pretty thin. 

Problem is that going to the US for a tourney in Canada is an act of prestige. Coaches, players and parents look at the sojourn to the lower 48 as a status thing that they brag about back home. Our team/organization is better than yours because we played in a tourney in the US. 

This patronizing/condescending BS is very un-Canadian. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCBrad said:

Your TD is full of crap. Yes we have a different culture, but we still play by the same rule book. There is no difference in tolerance for jackasses on the field. 

In fact in my province, we have zero tolerance in our major youth program. The coaches can only come out to make changes, ask about rule interpretation or to protest a game. Our IAWE levels are pretty thin. 

Problem is that going to the US for a tourney in Canada is an act of prestige. Coaches, players and parents look at the sojourn to the lower 48 as a status thing that they brag about back home. Our team/organization is better than yours because we played in a tourney in the US. 

This patronizing/condescending BS is very un-Canadian. 

 

But you and I both know that the universe starts at Scarborough and ends at Mississauga. :)

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BCBrad said:

"Stay in the box like you're supposed to ... don't F--- with me."

Brad,

Would you have ejected for this?

Do you object to the way I handled it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if a team from japan comes to play and in japan if you argue with the ump it is ok to push them does the TD expect you to get assaulted? If the umps would ban together and walk this TD would get the clue that no one is treated different. It really makes me mad that a TD would do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Brad,

Would you have ejected for this?

Do you object to the way I handled it?

In a younger age group, the f-bomb may be enough for ejection. I probably would have talked directly to F2 about the unsportsmanlike comment; I would have kept Bats out of it unless they were jarring back and forth. I would warn F2 for insulting opposing team as this is unacceptable and any other verbal or physical incident will lead to watching the Blue Jays lose on his cell. 

Bottom line is this. You want the behaviour to stop as it is not tolerated. If your comment got the job done, to cease the BS from F2, then I'm good with that. Sometimes, we have to deal with situations our own way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 7:15 PM, VolUmp said:

UPDATE: I have now been told by guys still calling that tourney with the Ontarian contingent of 5 teams that the TD wants the umpires to respect their culture, that they may have a different level of "tolerance" where they come from, that it's not our job to change their culture overnight, and we have to remember they are our "guests."

Under that logic, it must also be our culture to throw beer cans at outfielders, so the Orioles and MLB should not have been upset about it.

This is PC gone wild...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2017 at 8:50 AM, beerguy55 said:

This is PC gone wild...

Nah, this is a TD anxious about the check – coming from 5 teams must be pretty hefty – being endorsed, dated, and cashed. He's also considering future visits by these same 5 teams next year, or by sibling teams for upcoming tournaments.

Heck, those two games in the OP may have set US / Canada -relations back by 20 years, who knows?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Heck, those two games in the OP may have set US / Canada -relations back by 20 years, who knows?

And if so, I'm fine with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2017 at 11:50 AM, beerguy55 said:

Under that logic, it must also be our culture to throw beer cans at outfielders, so the Orioles and MLB should not have been upset about it.

This is PC gone wild...

I thought it was, when in Rome do as the Romans do. They know our culture, so they know the leash is not as long so abide by it or stay home.

But, this would be a great "incentive" for US coaches to want to take their teams to Canada where the leash is longer.

Just like the incentive for HS and College coaches and players to make MLB, so they can be a little less gentlemanly as the amateur player game makes them be.

 

And it sounds like all the money is in being a TD and an assignor now days, and the umpires are just the down troden lowly paid servants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentlemen,

I started this post and I'd like to ask to end it.

I was never trying to put the entire nation of Canada into one stereotype, but five 18u elite teams, all from the same general region of Ontario, that seem to have players that rule over their coaches, spew profanity like it's an accepted part of the game, play baseball with kind of a hockey mentality, ... it just seemed to be a problem to which I personally would have put a stop, and the Pu$$y TD wouldn't, because his ONLY goal is the branch out so he can justify calling his event the Wood Bat World Championship (x 6 ... he has one for 13u through 18u).

As I brazenly stated, he's a whore.

I changed to a better tournament after two days of it, but I later found out I wouldn't have been assigned in the Wood Bat World Championship anyway.  The TD and my Assignor talked before I asked to be taken off. 

My Assignor is also in the hot seat, because he doesn't wanna lose the business of all these tourneys for his umpires — and I can appreciate that. He just doesn't have the backbone to stand up to the TD and say, "I have the pencil, and you don't get to choose or deny any of my umpires."

We spoke several days later, and had to agree to disagree. He backed everything I did except that after the game-ending dead ball strike, he said I should have walked off the field. He thinks I got cocky trying to teach these coaches the rule.

Well, this wasn't a judgment call that was questioned, this was a GAME-ENDING RULE APPLICATION call ... one that I was REALLY wishing they would protest ... ($200) ... where I was surrounded by 3 coaches and 6 or 7 players trying to say the game wasn't over. I'm not intimidated by ANYONE. I felt the best thing to do, quite frankly, was make the three adult coaches look ignorant in front of the boys, and then leave the field. But by doing so, we had the kid mouth off and had an ejection. I suspect the TD "revoked" that EJ. I never asked.

The fault of all this HAS to lie with the US TD. There is no debate. He wants umpires who can get in and get out, and tolerate the typical abuse, and protect his bank account.

'Nuff Said.  The tournament was ruined by rain anyway and it was much ado about nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now